Soft Money Funding Contracts Rebecca Larrow (04 Feb 2020 13:15 EST)
Re: Soft Money Funding Contracts Rhea,Lacey N (05 Feb 2020 17:08 EST)

Re: Soft Money Funding Contracts Rhea,Lacey N 05 Feb 2020 17:08 EST

We have a few a faculty in our department who have retired, and are now emeritus faculty supported solely by the sponsored programs they bring in.  We assign them an annualized salary based on their salary at retirement.  From there, we adjust their FTE based on the effort months for which they are funded.  For example, if a faculty's annualized salary (1.0, 12 month) is $120,000 and they receive an award which covers 2 months of their salary, and another which covers 1 month, their appointment is adjusted to a .25 FTE and their payroll charges are split proportionately.

Lacey |RA Manager|Physics|Phone: 352-294-3072|Email: xxxxxx@ufl.edu
 Think before you print!

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> On Behalf Of Rebecca Larrow
Sent: Tuesday, February 4, 2020 1:15 PM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Soft Money Funding Contracts

[External Email]

Good Afternoon Everyone,

I am writing to inquire if anyone has soft money funded research PI's and if so, how do you figure out what their compensation rate should be? We have some faculty that have retired and are now soft money funded and we base their IBS on what it was the year they retired, however, we have now found ourselves in a situation where an employee is only research funded and is bringing in industry contracts with salary included. His starting salary was $60,000 the past 2 years, but he now has a significant increase (at least $40,000 additional) based on the number of industry contracts he has brought in with salary budgeted. Does anyone have policies or procedures or thoughts on this might be handled? Our concern is effort of course and benchmarking what a salary should be for an early career research PI.

Thank you in advance!

or click the following link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.healthresearch.org_scripts_wa-2DHLTHRES.exe-3FSUBED1-3DRESADM-2DL-26A-3D1&d=DwIFaQ&c=sJ6xIWYx-zLMB3EPkvcnVg&r=4uDUx_JUmdTI_qsPGOY_rX8ORuy-uE8bfzhUTzTKHjk&m=kTiKw3Z35Sjd6p5GOb0U1ph1QCDDTsbVqpgEFf5kFDM&s=dDFtb3lnIeSieV1wY5cgUIKVv_nKTkwxcoJcnbfX9h8&e=

or click the following link:
http://lists.healthresearch.org/scripts/wa-HLTHRES.exe?SUBED1=RESADM-L&A=1