Training Grants- How do you handle benefts Linda Dement (03 Feb 2020 18:52 EST)
Re: Training Grants- How do you handle benefts Susan E Held (04 Feb 2020 11:00 EST)

Re: Training Grants- How do you handle benefts Susan E Held 04 Feb 2020 11:00 EST

At Northwestern, employee status and employee benefits terminate with the beginning of an NRSA postdoc position. Our postdocs are then eligible for separate non-employee health insurance (still managed through the University). They aren't eligible for retirement benefits during the NRSA, but they're eligible to begin them immediately upon termination of the NRSA without a waiting period (as long as they were eligible beforehand).

Susan

Susan Held (she/her/hers)
Senior Systems Analyst
Enterprise Systems Alumni & Finance
Northwestern University
xxxxxx@northwestern.edu
847.467.5336

Change Makers
Dialogue | Inclusion | Change
-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> On Behalf Of Linda Dement
Sent: Monday, February 3, 2020 5:53 PM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Training Grants- How do you handle benefts

Good afternoon!

Whenever we consider applying for an NIH training grant, the issue always comes up whether or not the employee will lose benefits.  Formerly, our institute has paid them funds in addition funds to the NIH stipend in order to make them “whole” since they would lose out on retirement funds and other employee benefits if accepting an award.  We did this in order to not dissuade folks from applying to these awards.  It seems like there is confusion from all sides about whether or not employment terminates with the acceptance of an F32.

The admin contact at NIH was clear that the non-employee status was a part of the deal.  One our collaborating institutions,  however, still considers them employees and their benefits do not change.  Obviously, that would be a great solution but we need to make sure what we’re doing fits with the Department of Labor standards and what NIH’s intent is in these trainee awards.

How do you handle employees, their status and benefits at your institute?

Thanks!

Linda

or click the following link:
https://urldefense.proofpoint.com/v2/url?u=http-3A__lists.healthresearch.org_scripts_wa-2DHLTHRES.exe-3FSUBED1-3DRESADM-2DL-26A-3D1&d=DwIFaQ&c=yHlS04HhBraes5BQ9ueu5zKhE7rtNXt_d012z2PA6ws&r=UtxX9Fhq935Qglw-JoJiqXLYfBcG5au6OuWMCfg0WWk&m=WhYwXy93jXJ4ygSEAWf88sdRE86RZg28kbQwkMn7Pd0&s=cw81sB2jFs8KFBMSSkK-qXsazdSCSVfOcFMh428Wucs&e=

or click the following link:
http://lists.healthresearch.org/scripts/wa-HLTHRES.exe?SUBED1=RESADM-L&A=1