High Risk Subawards Megan Roth (18 Oct 2019 11:17 EST)
Re: High Risk Subawards Hoffman, Ann (18 Oct 2019 11:35 EST)
Re: High Risk Subawards Bobbie Ursin (22 Oct 2019 15:50 EST)

Re: High Risk Subawards Bobbie Ursin 22 Oct 2019 15:50 EST

I'm a bit late in responding to your inquiry, but the Federal Demonstration Partnership has a nice risk assessment tool you can utilize to determine the level of risk in collaborating with a subrecipient.  You can find this at thefdp.org.

Bobbie Ursin
Research Administrator
Southern Utah University
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> on behalf of Hoffman, Ann <xxxxxx@MSU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, October 18, 2019 9:35:54 AM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] High Risk Subawards

Hello Megan,

“Low-risk” institutions follow what we think of as best post-award practices.  They follow accepted cost accounting principles, have financial internal controls, human subjects and animal assurances on file, have worked with US federal sponsors before, have staff familiar with processing and managing awards.  “High-risk” subrecipients may be far away geographically (so potentially difficult to monitor for compliance or difficult to communicate with), be located in parts of the world where financial fraud is common, have staff unfamiliar with sponsored programs administration, lack adequate internal controls, lack infrastructure to support research projects, or be otherwise unable or unwilling to comply with grant requirements.

“Moderate risk” would have come combination of these pluses and minuses.

Some of these can be mitigated with agreements in advance.  For example, if the subrecipient organization has no financial conflict of interest policy, they may be willing to abide by yours during the project.

My suggestions would be to establish up front the systems you will use to monitor the work and the finances.  Provide monthly statements of project funds spent versus funds remaining and have them sign and verify those statements periodically.  Ask for invoices with receipts (amounts converted into US dollars if necessary).  If there is a cash advance involved, make the terms and conditions of that advance clear.  Make sure they understand reasonable/allocable/necessary expenditures and any specific award restrictions.

It is better to have these conversations during the proposal writing process if possible.

Hope this helps.

Ann Marie Hoffman, M.S.
Research Administrator
CNS Office of Research Support