Re: FW: [RESADM-L] Can a sponsor dictate whether funds are used as a subcontract or a procurement contract? dougm (Doug Mounce) (30 Aug 2019 11:19 EST)

Re: FW: [RESADM-L] Can a sponsor dictate whether funds are used as a subcontract or a procurement contract? dougm (Doug Mounce) 30 Aug 2019 11:19 EST

When I read that section of the UG, I remembered my experience with final invoicing in a sub-to-a-sub relationship, and how unmanageable that became with final deadlines when we had a sub to a sub to a sub.  If they are prime, however, then aren’t you the first tier?

If they have a lot of subs then they might also just be taking advantage of how contracting terms and conditions with procurement can be easier compared to subawards.

Different agencies also differently interpret lower tier relationships.  NIAID had this advice last year . . .

“A subaward is not always the optimal solution . . .

“Finally, imagine you are a subawardee on another investigator’s NIAID grant. You have your own subaward budget under the grant and you want to arrange for Private College to carry out a research task using money from your subaward's budget. Under NIAID policy, that is not allowed. While you can have a fee-for-service for a specific purchase on a subaward, a third tier subaward removes the grantee’s ability to oversee and control the grant activities.”

https://www.niaid.nih.gov/grants-contracts/refresher-subawar

Doug Mounce, Grants & Contracts Manager

From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> on behalf of Hurley, Susan <xxxxxx@SHSU.EDU>
Sent: Friday, August 30, 2019 8:32 AM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] FW: [RESADM-L] Can a sponsor dictate whether funds are used as a subcontract or a procurement contract?

Hi Kristin

I wish that were the case, but based on our conversations, it is more complicated than that. They understand the difference and are insisting on a procurement contract.  They even cited the Uniform Guidance guidelines in their documentation, saying that only one subreceipient can be awarded and that be them , as the Prime awardee.  It is an odd situation.

Susan