Re: FMLA Walker, Kathryn R 17 Jul 2019 15:32 EST

Where FMLA is paid leave, just job-protected, I'd expect to charge it consistently with however you bill other types of paid leave. The fact that it could be a prolonged period of time shouldn't matter.

I frequently see sections in Negotiated Rate Agreements on "Treatment of Paid Absences" that specifically note sick/vacation days as part of the normal cost for salaries and wages, which is the way it is for us. This is actually the first I've heard of having a separate account for routine sick leave payments, which is an interesting alternative model.

Katie Walker |  Financial Manager |  Center for Psychiatric Rehabilitation | Boston University
xxxxxx@bu.edu  |  cpr.bu.edu  | 940 Commonwealth Avenue, Boston, MA 02215

Date:    Tue, 16 Jul 2019 18:34:56 +0000
From:    Janis Lenox <xxxxxx@UOREGON.EDU>
Subject: Re: FMLA

It seems like FMLA would be paid out of an institution's account for sick leave or something similar.  If you take a day of sick leave while working on a grant, the grant is not charged for the sick leave.

Most institutions charge direct or blended rates for the university or institution share of medical, dental, retirement, SSI, etc. Those charges are placed in various accounts to pay out as needed such as sick leave.  FMLA would come from that type of account.

So basically, if someone is on FMLA - they are not paid their 'salary' and so the grant would not be charged.  But if they are a key person on the work, it needs to be noted to the sponsor about the leave.

thanks

Janis Lenox, MBA, CRA
Grants/Contracts Coordinator
Physics Department