Institutional Base Salary and Summer McKerrow, Maegan (06 Mar 2019 09:23 EST)
Re: Institutional Base Salary and Summer Bobbie Ursin (06 Mar 2019 13:34 EST)

Re: Institutional Base Salary and Summer Bobbie Ursin 06 Mar 2019 13:34 EST

I would say that calculations should follow your Institutional Base Salary policy.  If you don't have one, I recommend that one be developed.

Bobbie Ursin
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG> on behalf of McKerrow, Maegan <xxxxxx@SHSU.EDU>
Sent: Wednesday, March 6, 2019 7:23:56 AM
To: xxxxxx@LISTS.HEALTHRESEARCH.ORG
Subject: [RESADM-L] Institutional Base Salary and Summer

Posting for a friend in the Central Office…

Our internal policies limit faculty to 100% total time/effort (combined for teaching, research and any other university paid activities, with occasional exceptions) during the faculty’s contracted academic school year.  We also maintain the same 100% total effort as a max for summer.  Recently an argument was made that these restrictions should not apply to summer, as this is not part of their contract period since most of our faculty are on 9 month contracts.   In other words, faculty can perform federal research up to 100% summer time and still teach at whatever level they want during the summer.

CFR 200.430 is not as clear as we would like, so any comments and/or policies that could help clarify would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you in advance.

Maegan McKerrow, MBA
Sponsored Projects Coordinator
College of Criminal Justice