Sample Enginnering Proposals Natasha Williams (14 Aug 2018 10:32 EST)
Re: Sample Enginnering Proposals Justice, Sandra (14 Aug 2018 10:42 EST)
Re: Sample Enginnering Proposals Michael Spires (14 Aug 2018 11:53 EST)
Re: Sample Enginnering Proposals Charles Hathaway (14 Aug 2018 12:20 EST)

Re: Sample Enginnering Proposals Michael Spires 14 Aug 2018 11:53 EST

For my money, sample proposals are for the most part useless.

Projects are specific to an investigator and an institution--and that's the
bulk of what makes the proposals successful. Simply copying their prose
style won't cut it if the new investigator doesn't have the same chops, or
isn't at a place with the same level of equipment/instrumentation. Moreover,
they're submitted in response to guidelines that routinely change, reviewed
(with the exception of NIH) by mainly ad-hoc reviewers who likely won't see
the new proposal (and who might not remember the example proposal either),
and in different funding environments.

A better approach would be to build a library of good proposal components or
templates that could be adapted to fit the circumstances of a given
project/investigator combination: things like data management plans,
facilities and equipment statements, budget justifications, postdoctoral
mentoring plans, etc. I get far more requests for examples of those
individual components than I've ever gotten for a sample proposal. If you
have a new (or nervous) investigator, or when dealing with a program with
which you or the PI has little or no experience, then the better approach
would be to call up the list of projects recently funded by that program and
reaching out to successful applicants in your area for a phone or
face-to-face conversation about how they did it (in the course of which they
might share at least a redacted copy of the proposal to take out any
proprietary or sensitive information).

Moreover, where sample proposals can be helpful, the agency usually provides
them. (I'm thinking both of the NTIA program at Commerce and of NEH, who
have a few samples of successful proposals from each competition, regularly
updated, on the agency website--and in NEH's case, right there on the
program page for each grant program.)

Michael Spires, M.A., M.S., CRA
Research Development Officer, Sciences
The Research Office
Oakland University
256 Hannah Hall
244 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4451
(248) 370-2207
xxxxxx@oakland.edu
Past President, National Organization of Research Development Professionals