NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Rebecca O'Brien (20 Jul 2018 08:12 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Betcher, Gina (20 Jul 2018 09:02 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Emily Devereux (20 Jul 2018 09:22 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Daniels, Lisa (20 Jul 2018 12:11 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Michael Spires (20 Jul 2018 09:31 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Emily Devereux (20 Jul 2018 10:15 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Johnson, Kyle Andrew - (kyleajohnson) (23 Jul 2018 10:19 EST)
Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Rebecca O'Brien (25 Jul 2018 06:56 EST)

Re: NEA Art Works submission guidelines--organization budget Emily Devereux 20 Jul 2018 10:15 EST

Michael,
Do you know the precedence in how NEA defines academic department? We are organized by college and then departments within the colleges at our university. (Such as College of Liberal Arts and Communication and then departments, including the music department of which the project stems for the proposal.) The music department’s budget is what we would assume needs to be utilized, yet they specifically mention academic departments are not independent components?

Emily Devereux, MPA, CRA
Executive Director
Research Development/Pre-Award
Research and Technology Transfer
NCURA Region III Chair-Elect
(870) 972-2447<tel:(870)%20972-2447>
xxxxxx@astate.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@astate.edu>

On Jul 20, 2018, at 9:31 AM, Michael Spires <xxxxxx@OAKLAND.EDU<mailto:xxxxxx@OAKLAND.EDU>> wrote:

Good morning, Rebecca—

When I’ve submitted to NEA in the past, we always provided just the budget for the unit or program that was involved, rather than for the whole institution, since that was ultimately the sponsor’s concern. If the theatre department wants to mount a traveling production of one of its plays in schools around the state, it’s their resources that are impacted – not the chemistry department’s or the graduate school’s. One of the many things I wish NEA would fix about their application process overall—it’s probably a legacy from the day when most of their grants went to small standalone organizations and they had to be concerned about how much they were giving relative to the overall org budget, and also about sustainability. But in the case of a university with a multi-million (or –billion) dollar budget, it’s silly to require that information, especially if the institution’s been the recipient of other federal awards and they should have reason to believe that we understand how to handle and manage federal money.

Michael Spires, M.A., M.S., CRA
Research Development Officer, Sciences
The Research Office
Oakland University
256 Hannah Hall
244 Meadow Brook Road
Rochester, MI 48309-4451
(248) 370-2207
xxxxxx@oakland.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@oakland.edu>
Past President, National Organization of Research Development Professionals