Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Rebecca Larrow (12 Jul 2018 11:46 EST)
Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Searsmith, Kelly Lin (12 Jul 2018 12:25 EST)
Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Carolyn Elliott-Farino (12 Jul 2018 12:49 EST)
Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Becky Larrow (12 Jul 2018 13:12 EST)
Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Carolyn Elliott-Farino (12 Jul 2018 13:31 EST)
Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Elise MILLS (12 Jul 2018 13:22 EST)

Re: Allowability on Participant Support - NSF Searsmith, Kelly Lin 12 Jul 2018 12:25 EST
Hi Rebecca,

We would not consider a direct transfer of PSCs allowable, if I understand the scenario given (paying educators / trainers to provide instruction). The registration fees would have to be collected (as program income, if your institution is the provider) and then the instructors paid out of that. The PAPPG discusses program income here: https://www.nsf.gov/pubs/policydocs/pappg18_1/pappg_8.jsp#VIIID (there are additional reporting requirements).

PSCs in our interpretation from the guidance we've received can't be used to support speakers / trainers at workshops. They can only be used to directly support the participants themselves (lodging, registration fees if applicable, travel, stipends in certain cases). Whether the speakers / training providers are also university employees or not doesn't yet enter in -- although, of course, employees also cannot be supported with PSCs. The idea is that the participants who are supported aren't providing any goods or services in return for the educational experience -- they are being supported for learning alone (to show up and be sustained for the duration of the experience). That said, REU students are a special case in that they can be supported by a stipend while learning (this does not make them an employee, per NSF's 2017 Newsletter -- see below).

NSF writes of PSCs in the current PAPPG: "This budget category refers to direct costs for items such as stipends or subsistence allowances, travel allowances, and registration fees paid to or on behalf of participants or trainees (but not employees) in connection with NSF-sponsored conferences or training projects." One way to think of why PSCs are restricted in this way: The F&A waiver on any cost item is a burden on participating institutions (they aren't recovering costs otherwise permitted on a federal grant), so NSF is restricting how much the program cuts into that support (at the same time it is ensuring that the core purpose of the program gets the most bang for the federal buck). Paying educator / trainers out of PSCs would increase the burden, so that's not allowed. Per our SPA office, educational materials and supplies for participants are also not covered under PSCs.

All the best,
Kelly

NSF Newsletter, Vol. 1 (2017)

Q: We are preparing a