AY effort and cost share Rebecca Watercutter (12 Feb 2018 08:25 EST)
Re: AY effort and cost share Bobbie Ursin (12 Feb 2018 12:28 EST)

Re: AY effort and cost share Bobbie Ursin 12 Feb 2018 12:28 EST
Likewise, I would recommend the same explanation to a PI.  The PI may include a general statement regarding contributions to the project, but DO NOT QUANTIFY IT.  Not only is this advisable from the proposal institutional interest, it would also be consistent with Uniform Guidance.

Bobbie Ursin
From: Research Administration List <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org> on behalf of Rebecca Watercutter <xxxxxx@ONU.EDU>
Sent: Monday, February 12, 2018 6:25:17 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] AY effort and cost share

Happy Monday morning,

Does anyone else have this issue?  A faculty member submitting an NIH R15 insists that he should list a specific number of person months during the academic year in his proposal even though he is not seeking support for that effort.  His reasoning is that if he doesn't show AY effort, NIH will think he can't complete the research and will not fund him.

I advised him that by specifying his AY effort, it would then be considered cost share which NIH does not require and does not really want to see.

I told him that he could indicate in the budget narrative that his contract with the University provides time during the academic year to work on the research, but not to be specific about person months.

How have you all handled this?

--
Beckie

Rebecca Watercutter

Director of Foundation,

Government &Academic Grants

Ohio Northern University

xxxxxx@onu.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@onu.edu>

419 772-2038

www.onu.edu/grants<http://www.onu.edu/grants>

[cid:ii_ilbb9nle0_1533912a7a151518]

Support Ohio Northern University Today!

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

 via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the
 "RESADM-L" link under "Sponsored Programs").