NSF: Defining "year" Michael Kusiak (30 Jan 2018 13:16 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Donna Berger (30 Jan 2018 13:31 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Bonnie Kwit (30 Jan 2018 16:24 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Robinson, Jacqueline (30 Jan 2018 17:42 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Mary-Ellen Fortini (31 Jan 2018 18:46 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Davis Hamilton, Zoya (01 Feb 2018 10:13 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Sears, Heather (01 Feb 2018 11:22 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Frederick, Jackie A. (31 Jan 2018 11:38 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Adam Kuehn (01 Feb 2018 13:08 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Michael Spires (30 Jan 2018 13:33 EST)
Re: NSF: Defining "year" Bonnie Kwit (30 Jan 2018 13:44 EST)
Re: Defining "year" Hampstead, Deborah A (Debbie) (30 Jan 2018 14:14 EST)
Re: Defining "year" Taylor, Jay (Jay Taylor) (30 Jan 2018 14:40 EST)

Re: NSF: Defining "year" Robinson, Jacqueline 30 Jan 2018 17:42 EST

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Bonnie Kwit
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:25 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] NSF: Defining "year"

Office of Research Administration
505 Wilson Hall
(248) 370-4116

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Donna Berger
Sent: Tuesday, January 30, 2018 1:32 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org

We've always defined it in terms of the project year - no more than 2 months per project year.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Director, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

From:	Michael Kusiak <xxxxxx@UCOP.EDU>
To:	xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Date:	01/30/2018 01:18 PM
Subject:	[RESADM-L] NSF: Defining "year"
Sent by:	Research Administration List
 <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>

I am looking for input how institutions have gone about defining “year” for the purposes of being compliant with the requirement in section in chapter II.C.2.g(i)(a)of the NSF PAPPG:

“As a general policy, NSF limits the salary compensation requested in the proposal budget for senior personnel to no more than two months of their regular salary in any one year. It is the organization's responsibility to define and consistently apply the term "year", and to specify this definition in the budget justification. This limit includes salary compensation received from all NSF-funded grants.”

Of the public descriptions I have seen of being compliant with this requirement, I have seen fiscal year being used as the definition of “year.”

I could, however, see an argument to be made that you should maximize flexibility by simply defining “year” as the project periods defined in each award.

I understand that the overall issue is about that two-month limitation on salary support from NSF.

What’s the risk of defining a “year” as your institution’s fiscal year?

Thank you for any feedback you may have.

Mike

Michael Joseph Kusiak
Policy Resource Coordinator
xxxxxx@ucop.edu
510-987-0659

Research Policy Analysis and Coordination University of California, Office of the President

= = = = = =

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

 via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the
 "RESADM-L" link under "Sponsored Programs").