Re: Last-Minute Proposals (Again) William Sharp (08 Oct 2017 10:10 EST)
Re: Last-Minute Proposals (Again) Hathaway, Charles (08 Oct 2017 11:34 EST)
Re: Last-Minute Proposals (Again) Maryellen O'Brien (09 Oct 2017 12:55 EST)
Re: Last-Minute Proposals (Again) Gretchen Davis Richey (09 Oct 2017 15:33 EST)

Re: Last-Minute Proposals (Again) Maryellen O'Brien 09 Oct 2017 12:55 EST

Dear all,

I always find the responses to the “proposal deadline” inquiries valuable and enlightening.  In reviewing responses to this thread and older ones, I have a few questions:

1.  Are you preparing the proposal, i.e. the nitty gritty of data entering and collecting the files and uploading to form kits/electronic systems/sponsor sites?  Basically, doing the application kit, budget, etc. for the PI?
2. Are you reviewing the final proposal and performing the authorized submission action?
3. Under what conditions, if any, do you refuse to submit a proposal?  Who makes that call?

I have five people to do both with a volume of over 700 proposals/year.  I’m in a decentralized environment, so in my college office we build their budgets, edit justifications, prepare the forms in electronic systems of varying kinds, collect all the other files, check it all over and finally submit.  There is not pre-award departmental support.  We have an easy, online “notification to submit” form.  Within 72 hours we provide email timelines, checklists, templates, samples, “warning” email advisories closer to the deadline, etc. and still we’re lucky if we can submit a day ahead of the deadline.

I’m not complaining, just curious.  Thanks in advance for the feedback.  Please respond to the list.  If there enough responses, I’ll compile and share it in a table.

Maryellen O’Brien
Director of Grants and Contracts
College of Agricultural Sciences
The Pennsylvania State University
State College, PA  16801
814-865-3135
xxxxxx@psu.edu

If you plan on submitting a proposal please use the following link to provide our office with the information we need to get your plans on our calendar and in workflow.  Please try to provide at least 3 weeks notice.
http://agsci.psu.edu/grants/pre-award/proposal-university-park/submit-intent-to-prepare-a-proposal

On 10/8/17, 12:37 PM, "Research Administration List on behalf of Hathaway, Charles" <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org on behalf of xxxxxx@NYMC.EDU> wrote:

 I like Bill's checklist idea.  I usually employ a variation of it: serious email to the PI about "issues of institutional importance" AND how we can (say "will" if you really would) withdraw a submitted application if certain requirements are not met.

 But let's face it.  We should all share with the PI a primary interest in ensuring that a proposal receives a positive review.  And that can happen only if #1- the proposal is submitted successfully (e.g. mandatory application requirements met and electronic short circuits avoided) and #2- the proposal impresses agency reviewers enough to fund it.

 #1- Late applications can make successful submission problematic.  And it requires grants office staff to work harder, longer, and with more stress.  For some PIs, this extra work for the bureaucrats is justifiable because it doesn't compare with what they have gone through for the 6 weeks preceding.  I would argue that if there is a true partnership with PIs then the team effort should involve some pain on all sides.  I think most PIs really do understand the increased burden and appreciate the extra effort.  And those that are fatally stung by unfixable errors in NIH applications at 4:45 PM on deadline day do not forget this particular form of pain.

 #2- We can argue about whether content and presentation in a grant proposal are the responsibility of central administration.  Most of us are not prepared to critique the scholarly content and may not have time to check for inconsistencies and hideous grammar and spelling.  And with late proposals we may not be able to find those non-fatal formatting or content flaws in administrative components.  But I strongly encourage everyone to improve your partnership with PIs by expanding your pre-submission reviews to include at least some attention to grantsmanship.  You may not find an alpha that should be a beta but if you provide that nth set of proofreading eyes then you really become an asset to the investigator.  PIs don't pay your salary but if you want them to value your efforts, telling them about a misspelling on the Aims page carries a lot more weight than demanding signed paperwork from potential sub-recipients.

 Charlie

 ************************************

 Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D.

 Assistant Dean for Research Administration

 Director, Office of Research Administration

 School of Medicine

 New York Medical College

 40 Sunshine Cottage Road, GN-B28

 Valhalla, NY  10595-1524