Re: Pre-review Colin Cooper (24 Mar 2017 13:02 EST)
Re: Pre-review dougm (Doug Mounce) (24 Mar 2017 13:13 EST)
Re: Pre-review Pitz, Jennifer (24 Mar 2017 13:39 EST)
Re: Pre-review Hollis MacArthur (24 Mar 2017 18:08 EST)
Re: Pre-review William Kay (03 Apr 2017 11:56 EST)
Re: Pre-review Chris Thompson (24 Mar 2017 13:44 EST)
Re: Pre-review Megan Roth (24 Mar 2017 13:58 EST)
Re: Pre-review Chris Thompson (24 Mar 2017 14:17 EST)

Re: Pre-review Pitz, Jennifer 24 Mar 2017 13:39 EST

I honestly think the best advice I've heard on this matter is to have several people review your proposal for scientific content, and make sure one of them disagrees with you (actually the person said make sure one of them hates you). The idea being that you don't just want people telling you it's great, you want real criticism.

In terms of my review, if I've been working with the PI throughout the process it's limited as I've had a hand in the development. If not my review depends on the amount of time  I have. Spelling and grammar as well as presentation get looked at if I have a couple days. If I have hours I look at adherence to guidelines, budget and Institutional approvals. Anything in between is on a continuum.

Jennifer Pitz, MPA, CRA
Research Grants and Sponsored Projects Coordinator
Phone: 330-543-8272

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of dougm (Doug Mounce)
Sent: Friday, March 24, 2017 2:14 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Pre-review

***This email is from an external source.***

I remember a Chair in chemistry who strictly enforced his departmental deadlines for prior review.  He did review all the proposals, and the faculty started getting more awards.  Peer review is a painful process, but if you get those informal reviews before you submit then you at least won't be surprised by the formal scores.

Also, another old maxim, it's best if the review panel either loves your work or hates it.  At least you know it is being discussed!