Re: Transfer of equipment to a for-profit company Melinda Cotten (07 Jul 2016 20:18 EST)
Re: Transfer of equipment to a for-profit company Jennifer Shambrook (08 Jul 2016 07:46 EST)

Re: Transfer of equipment to a for-profit company Melinda Cotten 07 Jul 2016 20:18 EST

Yes, Charles you are correct.  Your institution owns the equipment.  If
the appropriate leadership approves of the transfer, then you can let him
take it.  Our typical rule is that if there are any other PIs using the
equipment for research, then we do not allow the original researcher to
move it.

Here is a link to our institutional policy (it is very old but still
effective).  We are in the process over the next 1-2 years of updating all
institutional policies.
http://professor.rice.edu/professor/Research_Equipment.asp

Thank you,
Melinda Cotten
Assistant Vice Provost (SPARC)
Office of Sponsored Projects and Research Compliance
William Marsh Rice University
Phone 713-348-6200