Subcontracting to Federal Agency -- RE: RESADM-L Digest - 19 Apr 2016 to 20 Apr 2016 (#2016-93) Lori J Lafon 21 Apr 2016 09:35 EST

Although this doesn't address the question of whether it is possible to sub to a federal agency on a federal award, keep in mind the option of funding the other agency through a direct distribution. This is how I have seen it done most often.

Lori LaFon, CRA
Senior Proposal Analyst
Office of Contracts & Grants
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309
O 303 735 6597
xxxxxx@colorado.edu

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of RESADM-L automatic digest system
Sent: Wednesday, April 20, 2016 10:00 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: RESADM-L Digest - 19 Apr 2016 to 20 Apr 2016 (#2016-93)

Topics of the day:

 1. Subcontracting To Federal Agency (5)
 2. New OSP employee training material
 3. Job Opportunity - University of Nevada, Las Vegas - Preaward Services
 4. Institutional policy on clinicaltrials.gov registrations/results
 reporting?
 5. Eclectic mix of indirect distributions
 6. subawards from small business on federal grant
 7. Subawards and F&A

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 14:39:05 +0000
From:    Kelly Morgan <xxxxxx@EVISIONS.COM>
Subject: Re: Subcontracting To Federal Agency

Hi Jim,

What Daniel describes below is exactly what we used to do at my former institution.
If we were getting a DOE award and planned to partner with an FFRDC, DOE would increase the lab's annual budget to cover the scope of their work.

Best of luck,
Kelly

Kelly Morgan
Evisions | Professional Services Manager xxxxxx@evisions.com<mailto:xxxxxx@evisions.com>
(503) 297-2108 Ext. 342

[ResearchSuite_Logo_RGB_LtBkgrnd_Lockup]
Evisions.com<http://www.evisions.com/> | 2525 SW First Avenue, Suite 201, Portland, OR 97201    Follow Us On:  [fb-icon] <http://www.facebook.com/#!/EvisionsInc>  [tw-icon] <http://twitter.com/#!/EvisionsInc>  [yt-icon] <http://www.youtube.com/evisionsvideos>  [li-icon] <http://www.linkedin.com/company/903897>

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 11:01:39 -0400
From:    "J. Michael Slocum" <xxxxxx@GMAIL.COM>

My experience with Government agencies as subcontractor (equivalent) is that they want a CRADA.  There are appropriation law problems with an agency obtaining funds from a private company (the money normally cannot be kept by the agency but must go back to "miscellaneous receipts" in the Treasury).  Also issues with Sovereign immunity, direction of the governmental function by non-government actors, etc.
Another way when two agencies are involved is to "MIPR" the money from the prime agency to the other agency direct with an interagency MOU.

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:01:24 +0000
From:    Dara Little <xxxxxx@NIU.EDU>

We used to think that this was the only way to handle funding to labs too but learned that there are some funding programs that the lab can take money for through a sub, we've been told that they just have to get DOE approval to do so.

We issued a sub to an area national lab a few months ago. We had to associate it with a CRADA but that wasn't a big deal. The federal funding agency was aware of the arrangement.

Dara

Dara C. Little, MPA, CRA
Assistant Vice President for Research and Sponsored Programs Northern Illinois University DeKalb, IL 60115

The contents of this message, including attachments is intended for use by the individual and/or entity  named above and may contain information that is legally privileged, confidential  and exempt from disclosure. If you have received this message in error, please notify the sender immediately by phone or e-mail at info provided above and delete/destroy the message and attachments. Any distribution, copying or dissemination of this message and attachments is prohibited by anyone except the intended recipient.

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:16:37 +0000
From:    Adam Carter <xxxxxx@JAX.ORG>
Subject: New OSP employee training material

Good morning,

I am curious what types of training material other institutions provide to their new OSP employees, specifically pre-award folks. If anyone has training manuals or a standard set of documents that they wouldn't mind sharing, that would be much appreciated.

Thanks,

Adam Carter
Interim Director, Sponsored Programs
207.288.6914 t  |  207.669.2052 m
xxxxxx@jax.org

The Jackson Laboratory
Bar Harbor, ME  |  Farmington, CT  |  Sacramento, CA www.jax.org

The Jackson Laboratory: Leading the search for tomorrow's cures

OSP Notes Blog<https://mysite-p.jax.org/personal/jdsmit/Blog/default.aspx>
---

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 08:41:50 -0700
From:    Sally Hamilton <xxxxxx@UNLV.EDU>
Subject: Job Opportunity - University of Nevada, Las Vegas - Preaward Services

Senior Research Administrator posting in the UNLV Office of Sponsored Programs.
The University of Nevada, Las Vegas is an internationally recognized research institution that is truly one of America's great success stories.

UNLV is a doctoral-degree-granting institution of approximately 29,000 students and more than 3,000 faculty and staff that is classified by the Carnegie Foundation for the Advancement of Teaching as a research university with high research activity.  UNLV offers a broad range of respected academic programs and is on a path to join the top tier of national public research universities.  The university is committed to recruiting and retaining top students and faculty, educating the region's diversifying population and workforce, driving economic activity through increased research and community partnerships, and creating an academic health center for Southern Nevada that includes the launch of a new UNLV School of Medicine.  UNLV is located on a 332-acre main campus and two satellite campuses in Southern Nevada.  For more information, visit us on line at:  http://www.unlv.edu

This full-time, 12-month, professional position is expected to coordinate and provide a wide range of pre-award and post-award services for the UNLV office of Sponsored Programs.  Services include, but are not limited to:
monitoring funding opportunities and providing program information to interested faculty and staff, providing proposal development services to faculty, reviewing and negotiating proposals and awards; preparing contractual agreements, and developing and providing relevant training and presentations to faculty and staff.  Other duties may be required or assigned.

This position requires a Bachelor's degree from a regionally accredited college or university and 3 years of broad-based experience in grants and contracts administration.  Candidates should be familiar with electronic research administration and federal regulations pertaining to sponsored programs.  Candidates should possess advanced computer skills, and have the ability to quickly master specialized software applications.  Proficiency in the latest versions of Microsoft applications is highly desirable.  Good written and verbal communication skills are essential, as are the abilities to manage people and tasks, and work with diverse groups.

Salary competitive with those at similarly situated institutions.  Position is contingent upon funding.

Submit a letter of interest, a detailed resume listing qualifications and experience, and the names, addresses, and telephone numbers of at least three professional references who may be contacted.  Applicants should fully describe their qualifications and experience, with specific reference to each of the minimum and preferred qualification because this is the information on which the initial review of materials will be based.

Although this position will remain open until filled, review of candidates'
materials will begin on 4/22/16 and best consideration will be gained for materials submitted prior to that date.  Materials should be addressed to Sally Hamilton, Search Committee Chair, and are to be submitted via on-line application at https://hrsearch.unlv.edu  For assistance with UNLV's on-line applicant portal, contact UNLV Employment Services at (702) 895-3504 or xxxxxx@unlv.edu

UNLV is an Equal Opportunity / Affirmative Action educator and employer committed to achieving excellence through diversity.  All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to, among other things, race, color, religion, sex, age, creed, national origin, veteran status, physical or mental disability, sexual orientation, genetic information, gender identity, gender expression, or any other factor protected by anti-discrimination laws.  The University of Nevada, Las Vegas employs on United States citizens and non-citizens lawfully authorized to work in the United States.  Women, under-represented groups, individuals with disabilities, and veterans are encouraged to apply.
EEO/AA/VET/DISABILITY EMPLOYER

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 15:16:57 +0000
From:    "Zipkin, Susan" <xxxxxx@BMC.ORG>
Subject: Re: Institutional policy on clinicaltrials.gov registrations/results reporting?

Hi Leslie,
At BMC, we have a policy on ClinicalTrials.gov outlining the requirements, and recently the IRB has made it a requirement for the NCT # prior to approval for any clinical trial that meets the WHO definition of a clinical trial (same as ICMJE).  We also monitor the PRS system for compliance with Results reporting.

Susan Zipkin
Associate Director, Research Operations
Boston Medical Center
(617) 414-2856

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 18:38:02 +0000
From:    Kirsten Torguson <xxxxxx@KGI.EDU>

I have experienced three ways that this is done:

1.       The CRADA that was mentioned previously.

2.       Funding flows through the recipient federal agency's fiscal agent or foundation (e.g., the Henry M. Jackson Foundation accepts some awards for the Naval Medical Research Center; the CDC Foundation accepts some awards for work done at the CDC).

3.       The federal agency sponsor funds the recipient federal agency directly (and in this case reduced KGI's budget proportionately).

Kirsten

Kirsten Torguson
Kirsten Torguson, MRA, CRA

Director, Research & Sponsored Projects

[Keck Graduate Institute]<http://www.kgi.edu/>

535 Watson Drive | Claremont, CA 91711

Phone

(909) 607-9313

website<http://www.kgi.edu/> | vCard<http://www.dynasend.com/signatures/vcard/kirsten_torguson-at-kgi.edu.vcf> | map<http://www.kgi.edu/site-help/maps-and-directions.html> | email<mailto:xxxxxx@kgi.edu>

[Twitter]<https://twitter.com/KeckGrad>[LinkedIn]<https://www.linkedin.com/edu/school?id=35526&trk=tyah&trkInfo=clickedVertical%3Aschool%2Cidx%3A5-2-14%2CtarId%3A1427904116812%2Ctas%3Akeck>[Facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/KeckGraduateInstitute>[YouTube]<https://www.youtube.com/user/KeckGrad>[RSS Feed]<http://feeds.feedburner.com/KGINews>

This email may contain confidential and/or private information. If you received this email in error please delete and notify sender.

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:04:11 +0000
From:    Dara Little <xxxxxx@NIU.EDU>
Subject: Re: Eclectic mix of indirect distributions

Thanks, Jennifer for pulling this together. It highlights the complexity and unique nature of our organizations.

For schools that allocate a share to the PI, how do you do this and what parameters do you put around their use of the funds? We're going to be transitioning to this model and I'm trying to figure out how to operationalize.  Not looking to re-open the debate on this so feel free to email me off the list.

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:22:51 +0000
From:    "Remotigue, Robyn" <xxxxxx@UNTHSC.EDU>

My experience in subcontracting with a federal agency has been the use of a CRADA - Cooperative Research And Development Agreement.  I used these several times with working with EPA, Army and Air Force.

Robyn

Robyn B. Remotigue, MPPA, CRA
Research Manager
Office of Research Services
School of Public Health
Texas Prevention Institute
3500 Camp Bowie Boulevard, EAD 731
Fort Worth, Texas 76107
817-735-2759
817-735-2619 FAX

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 20:18:55 +0000
From:    "Remotigue, Robyn" <xxxxxx@UNTHSC.EDU>
Subject: Re: subawards from small business on federal grant

At my former institution, I worked on several SBIR/STTR's that involved small companies.  To facilitate the process, I took our standard subcontract and reversed the language to provide them.  I also made had to make some other minor changes.  Most of the small companies were happy to work with us, but didn't have their own subcontract to provide the university.    When I reversed the language, it was generally accepted by the small businesses.

Date:    Wed, 20 Apr 2016 17:07:09 -0500
From:    Megan Roth <xxxxxx@ACU.EDU>
Subject: Subawards and F&A

Hi all,

We don't do many subawards here or receive many, so please fill me in on your policies or the regs about subrecipients and subrecipient F&A.

Are subrecipients entitled to their F&A rate? Do they budget F&A rate on their portion and the prime subtracts the subrecipient's budget from their own before calculating F&A? Can a prime deny a sub their F&A?

Thanks,

--
*Megan Roth, Ph.D.*
Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs Abilene Christian University

Email secured by Check Point

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)<br>