Seed Incentive Question McKerrow, Maegan (07 Apr 2016 13:48 EST)
Re: Seed Incentive Question Marisa Steffers (11 Apr 2016 09:05 EST)

Re: Seed Incentive Question Marisa Steffers 11 Apr 2016 09:05 EST

This sounds like Respondent Driven Sampling

http://www.respondentdrivensampling.org/

From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of McKerrow, Maegan [xxxxxx@SHSU.EDU]
Sent: Thursday, April 07, 2016 2:48 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Seed Incentive Question

Hello all,

I am working on a proposal for the NIJ Bias Crime solicitation NIJ-2016-8979 and need some advice.

The professor is asking to use incentives as a means to encourage more survey participation and she is wanting to do something called ‘Seed Incentives’. This is a new one for me and I would appreciate anyone who has done this, how they budgeted for it, why it is totally unrealistic or unallowable, or if anyone has helpful input at all.  Please feel free to email me directly or respond to the listserv.

It is my understanding that the way this works is very similar to a pyramid scheme. They reach out to 1 group of people and they receive the first incentive. That group of people will bring in an additional group of people to survey and the first group will receive an additional incentive and the new group will receive one….and so on and so on. I would think this would also be a red flag issue for IRB as well.

I have asked her to survey her peers who have done this in the past and to see how they have done it.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Maegan

Maegan McKerrow, MBA
Proposals and Contracts Administrator
College of Criminal Justice
Sam Houston State University
xxxxxx@shsu.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@shsu.edu>
Phone: 936-294-1674
http://www.shsu.edu/academics/criminal-justice/

Email secured by Check Point

This message and any attachments are confidential and intended solely
for the use of the individual or entity to which they are addressed.  If
you are not the intended recipient, you are prohibited from printing,
copying, forwarding, saving, or otherwise using or relying upon them in
any manner.  Please notify the sender immediately if you have received
this message by mistake and delete it from your system.

Email secured by Check Point

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)<br>
 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help<br>