Ph.D. Tuition Waiver Restrictions? Nicole Whetstine (14 Jan 2016 13:30 EST)
Re: Ph.D. Tuition Waiver Restrictions? Michael Spires (14 Jan 2016 16:08 EST)
Re: Ph.D. Tuition Waiver Restrictions? Elise MILLS (14 Jan 2016 18:13 EST)

Re: Ph.D. Tuition Waiver Restrictions? Michael Spires 14 Jan 2016 16:08 EST

Hi, Nicole--

We routinely include tuition remission for all graduate assistants (in proportion to the amount of time they're committed to the grant) on our proposal budgets, unless a sponsor has an explicit policy prohibiting tuition remission (there are a handful that do). We've never, to my knowledge at least, had an issue with any sponsor over that cost item.

Michael Spires, M.A., M.S., CRA
Senior Proposal Analyst
Office of Contracts and Grants
Woodbury 401, 572 UCB
University of Colorado Boulder
Boulder, Colorado 80309-0572
O (303) 492-6646
F (303) 492-6421
E xxxxxx@colorado.edu
W www.colorado.edu/ocg

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Nicole Whetstine
Sent: Thursday, January 14, 2016 11:31 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Ph.D. Tuition Waiver Restrictions?

Hello everyone,

I am writing with regards to a change we are implementing in our proposal budgets this year. Historically, we have included graduate tuition waivers for master’s students as part of our budgets without issue from sponsors. With the rollout of our new Ph.D. programs a few years ago, the university agreed to offer tuition waivers to encourage enrollment in these programs and as such, the practice was not to include Ph.D. programs in grant budgets. With these programs up and running, the university is now seeking to include tuition waivers for graduate programs (Ph.D. programs included) in these budgets. Due to concerns by faculty that this change may be detrimental to them winning grants (or that it is not allowable on our part to do so), I was hoping for feedback from the listserv on this topic. Does anyone know of any reasons why sponsors might not find Ph.D. tuition in particular desirable, or have you received pushback in including it in your budgets? Any help/guidance i!
 s appreciated. Thank you!

Nicole Whetstine, MNM, CRA
Grant Administrator
Office of Sponsored Research Administration Embry-Riddle Aeronautical University
(386) 226-6451
xxxxxx@erau.edu

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)<br>
 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help<br>