Re: How to handle subcontracts when transferring grants from one institution to another Lori J Lafon (19 Nov 2015 10:24 EST)

Re: How to handle subcontracts when transferring grants from one institution to another Lori J Lafon 19 Nov 2015 10:24 EST

The subrecipient institution will need to assume the risk. You can confirm that they have 90 day pre-award spending flowed down from the NSF grant you will be receiving, but the sub institution will need to cover any costs that are unallowable or outside the 90 day period (if that situation were to occur you could request greater than 90 day pre-award).

Best regards,
Lori
Lori LaFon, CRA
Senior Grant Officer
Office of Contracts & Grants
University of Colorado Boulder
303-735-6597
xxxxxx@colorado.edu

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 2015 21:38:33 +0000
From:    "Erika A. Hargadine" <xxxxxx@UW.EDU>
Subject: How to handle subcontracts when transferring grants from one institution to another

Dear Colleagues,

Does anyone have any tips/tricks/insights/warnings on how to handle subcontracts when transferring one federal award (in our case an NSF grant) from one institution to another?

We are in the process of a grant transfer with the NSF where we will become the prime.  I doubt this can happen quickly and  imagine that there is at least a 6-8 week lag between termination of the grant from the current prime to us actually getting the new award and setting up new subcontracts. The  subcontractors (of which were one!)  are asking us to guarantee their expenses they incur during this lag period.  The new award year was to start 11.1.15 and the prime has put in a request in Fastlane to transfer the grant effective 11.16.15 since the PI start date at our institution ended up being 11.16.15.

Just curious about how to handle the risk of guaranteeing expenses for subcontractors or any red flags or pitfalls I need to be aware of as we try to continue the science while complying with administrative and sponsor policies. On a first review, I don't believe we can guarantee the expenses as we aren't even eligible for our own advance budget at this point - just wondered if others have had a different view or experience with this.  One subcontractor is threatening to stop work if we don't guarantee them the expenses during the transfer.

Thanks,
e.

Erika Hargadine CRA | Assistant Director of Finance [cid:image001.png@01CFC8EE.5FA22FF0]
College of Education
UW Box 353600, 222 Miller Hall
Seattle, WA 98195-3600
Office: 206-221-7813
Mobile: 206-713-4060
Office Hours: 08:00-17:00

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)<br>
 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help<br>