Passing of Julie Norris Pierre, Geraldine Michelle 18 Nov 2015 12:23 EST

Sincere condolence on the passing of Julie Norris. She was one of the great pioneers of professional development in Research Administration. She will be missed!

Regards,

Geraldine

Geraldine M. Pierre, MSc, J.D. | Grants and Contracts Manager| Department of Health, Law, Policy and Management | Boston University School of Public Health
xxxxxx@bu.edu  | Office: 617.414.1422 | Cell: 617.548.8957 | Fax: 617.638.5374

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of RESADM-L automatic digest system
Sent: Wednesday, November 18, 2015 12:00 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: RESADM-L Digest - 17 Nov 2015 (#2015-24)

Topics of the day:

 1. Remembering Julie T. Norris (2)

Date:    Tue, 17 Nov 2015 20:56:44 -0500
From:    Robert Beattie <xxxxxx@UMICH.EDU>
Subject: Re: Remembering Julie T. Norris

Sad news indeed.

There are others who knew her better than I and can report aspects of her career.   I, however,  cannot forget that great moment not so long ago, when she stood up at an FDP meeting after some Federal Agency announced they had a great new proposal submission system.  She stated in no uncertain terms, “we do not want any more new rogue grants systems!"

That became a rallying cry for the FDP.  One of her many legacies.

Bob
Robert Beattie
xxxxxx@umich.edu

On Nov 17, 2015, at 3:27 PM, Stroud, Suzanne <xxxxxx@BCM.EDU> wrote:

Julie T. Norris is a name most of us who have been in research administration since the ‘80s will remember as one of the leading spirits in this country.  From the very beginning Julie was involved in explaining federal regulations, NCURA, co-authoring  A Guide to Managing Federal Grants and was respected by federal government officers and peers from all over the country.

Julie passed away early this morning in Houston, Texas.

I wanted to let the research admin community know – and to offer a brief thank you for how giving, intelligent and amazingly energetic she was to make research administration a true profession beginning 40 years ago.   Julie was the Assistant Vice President and Director of Sponsored Programs at the University of Houston until 1995 and then directed MIT’s Office of Sponsored Programs for 10 years. Later she worked at Huron Consulting.

Each of us who knew Julie will cherish her warmth and vision.  What an incredible spirit!  Thank you, Julie!

<image002.jpg>

Thanks,
S.

Suzanne Stroud, CRA, CPRA, CFRA
Grant & Contract Associate
Office of Research
Sponsored Programs Office
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, Suite 600D, MS BCM-310 Houston, TX 77030-3411
Phone: 713-798-8067
Email: xxxxxx@bcm.edu
SPO Email: xxxxxx@bcm.edu
SPO Website: https://www.bcm.edu/research

======================================================================<br>
======================================================================<br>

------------------------------

Date:    Wed, 18 Nov 2015 03:55:48 +0000
From:    "Hollingsworth, David" <xxxxxx@TAMU.EDU>

Julie,
Freely, gave back to the research administration profession by sharing her knowledge and expertise with the research community.  She was out ahead of the curve on most issues.  I recall Julie and Barbara Yoder agreeing to come to a SRA TX Chapter meeting to share their expertise on export controls, back in the day when most of us barely knew about such things.

David

[cid:image001.jpg@01D12181.DBB6C0A0]

Thanks,
S.

Suzanne Stroud, CRA, CPRA, CFRA
Grant & Contract Associate
Office of Research
Sponsored Programs Office
Baylor College of Medicine
One Baylor Plaza, Suite 600D, MS BCM-310 Houston, TX 77030-3411
Phone: 713-798-8067
Email: xxxxxx@bcm.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@bcm.edu>
SPO Email: xxxxxx@bcm.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@bcm.edu> SPO Website: https://www.bcm.edu/research

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)<br>
 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help<br>