IP Negotiations Jennifer Keller (09 Nov 2015 15:13 EST)
Re: IP Negotiations Casey, Amy (09 Nov 2015 18:25 EST)
Re: IP Negotiations Michael Spires (10 Nov 2015 09:51 EST)
Re: IP Negotiations Mumm, Lynne M [OIPTT] (10 Nov 2015 11:35 EST)
Re: IP Negotiations dougm (Doug Mounce) (10 Nov 2015 11:53 EST)

Re: IP Negotiations dougm (Doug Mounce) 10 Nov 2015 11:53 EST

I must admit I found this to be a refreshing difference in the world of public/private partnerships (if I'm correctly understanding what they want).  I've spent so many years arguing for the public benefit from the academic side that I welcome this private commitment to freedom which should be a model for those in the ivory tower.

I know several companies that can only succeed by using open source software, for example, and I assume the intellectual property here is software.  I'm not surprised that there are companies who don't want to fund research resulting in proprietary products.

"To have the choice between proprietary software packages, is being able to choose your master. Freedom means not having a master. And in the area of computing, freedom means not using proprietary software."
 'Free_Software_and_Beyond:_Human_Rights_in_the_Use_of_Software' Richard M. Stallman in Gothenburg 2007-05-16

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Michael Spires
Sent: Tuesday, November 10, 2015 6:52 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] IP Negotiations

I wouldn't sign an agreement with that clause in it, and I'd be amazed if the corporation in question had ever actually gotten a university to agree to it. It's asking the investigator (and the institution) to give up all rights of any kind in the IP they produced, and lets the corporation jump the gun on announcing it.

Agreeing to that clause could impact the ability to publish, since the investigators would be waiving copyright claim (and hence would not be able to assign it to a journal publisher) and it certainly impacts their ability to license or commercialize any resulting technology. Cripes, even the federal public access policy allows an embargo period after publication before the work has to be made publicly available--and includes a process for requesting a longer embargo period if there's good reason to do so (like a patent filing, for instance).

Michael Spires, M.A., M.S., CRA
Senior Proposal Analyst
Office of Contracts and Grants
Woodbury 401, 572 UCB