Re: Out of Curiosity Tijani, Sikirat 25 Oct 2015 15:47 EST

Interesting...I think I would only support this model if the dept/college didn't have any formal, experienced pre-award and/or post-award support in house.

If the central office has the bandwidth, staff, and the support of the higher-ups to handle this model, I think it could work.

Pros: awards are handled by experienced staff; quicker turn around on institutional review/endorsement.
Cons: central office isn't familiar with PI and their personalities/m.o.; central office is not in close proximity to the PI/ dept which could lead to communication issues.

But I am an advocate of having a formal research administration infrastructure at the local/departmental level in place that works in collaboration with the central sponsored programs office. This promotes and encourages a culture of consistent research administrative professionalism throughout the institution.

Sikirat A. Tijani, CRA
Associate Director, Grants and Contracts, Ann & Robert H. Lurie Children’s Hospital of Chicago
Office of Sponsored Programs
Stanley Manne Children’s Research Institute
T  773.755.6335 |  F  773.755.6533  |  xxxxxx@luriechildrens.org  |  luriechildrens.org
225 East Chicago Avenue, Box 205, Chicago, Illinois 60611-2605

Ranked nationally in all 10 pediatric specialties by U.S. News & World Report  (LCHOC Ver 1.0)

This message contains confidential information and is intended only for the individual named. If you are not the named addressee you should not disseminate, distribute or copy this e-mail. Please notify the sender immediately by e-mail if you have received this e-mail by mistake and delete this e-mail from your system. E-mail transmission cannot be guaranteed to be secure or error-free as information could be intercepted, corrupted, lost, destroyed, arrive late or incomplete, or contain viruses. The sender therefore does not accept liability for any errors or omissions in the contents of this message, which arise as a result of e-mail transmission. If verification is required please request a hard-copy version.  (LCHOC VER 1.0)

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Natasha Stark
Sent: Thursday, October 09, 1975 12:06 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Out of Curiosity

We were having some "water cooler" conversation among ourselves here in the office, and an intriguing question came up that I would like to have some feedback on from my fellow research administrators.

Do any of you know of, or work in, a central office where colleges and/or departments are offered the ability to "opt-out" of managing their projects in house, in exchange for surrendering their share of the indirects they would have otherwise received for doing so? In other words, do you give a college the option to let the central office staff handle the post-award management with the understanding that the associated indirects would stay with the central office?  Could such a model work?  Pros and cons?

All thoughts are welcome.  If you don't want to respond here, please feel free to email me at xxxxxx@kennesaw.edu.

Thanks!

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help ======================================================================

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help