FW: names on the SF424 budget justification? dougm (Doug Mounce) (22 May 2015 14:56 EST)
Re: FW: names on the SF424 budget justification? Elise MILLS (22 May 2015 15:51 EST)

FW: names on the SF424 budget justification? dougm (Doug Mounce) 22 May 2015 14:56 EST

Thanks Margaret,
I agree, and we've always preferred naming people to TBNs.  Highlighting our low turnover could also be useful.

This new idea comes from our commercial side where we use position rates rather than personal effort commitments, but I've been on the grants side so long that it never occurred to me to do it any other way.

This may be one of those situations where the writers didn't make a conscious decision.  Still, I'm picky about this sort of thing, and I think the grammar on the SF424 instructions only requires names for Postdocs and Grad students, and is therefore ambivalent about names for staff?

-----Original Message-----
From: Murray, Margaret T [mailto:xxxxxx@emory.edu]
Sent: Friday, May 22, 2015 11:48 AM
To: dougm (Doug Mounce)
Subject: RE: names on the SF424 budget justification?

Hi Doug,

One of my former faculty members (who has been exceptionally well funded) feels it's important to put real names to paper to show that he has an active, stable, and well-trained lab staff. You can write more about them if you name them --- e.g., "10 years experience in virology" or "has been working on this specific project since 2004." I don't ever recall him using a "TBN."

It makes good management sense to me given the typical turnover among lab staff.

Hope that helps.

Margaret T. Murray, CRA
Research Financial Analyst
Department of Obstetrics & Gynecology
Woodruff Memorial Research Building, Rm 4217 Emory University