NSF approved NCEs Lori J Lafon (26 Jan 2015 10:05 EST)
Re: NSF approved NCEs Elizabeth Kingsley (26 Jan 2015 19:03 EST)

NSF approved NCEs Lori J Lafon 26 Jan 2015 10:05 EST

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of RESADM-L automatic digest system
Sent: Friday, January 23, 2015 10:00 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: RESADM-L Digest - 22 Jan 2015 to 23 Jan 2015 (#2015-19)

 2. FDP Agreement (10)
 3. Job Opportunity Posting
 4. FW: Salary Cap
 5. Question on NSF Biosketch (3)
 6. NSF-Approved NCEs

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:34:13 -0600
From:    "Torbor, DeSandra" <xxxxxx@CENTRAL.UH.EDU>
Subject: Salary Cap

Does the salary cap limitations apply to each NIH grant or does it apply collectively to all grants held by one individual?

Thank you,

DeSandra Torbor, Research Administrator 2
Division of Research
University of Houston
A Carnegie-designated Tier One public research university
713-743-8206
xxxxxx@central.uh.edu

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 16:57:50 +0000
From:    "Hathaway, Charles" <xxxxxx@NYMC.EDU>
Subject: Re: Salary Cap

Does it make a difference?  In either case, the total amount of salary support from NIH could not exceed the cap because you can't go over 12 months effort for all your funding combined.
There is an equation that could describe this but I'm not feeling so algebraic now.

Charlie

*************************************
Charles B. Hathaway, Ph.D.
Assistant Dean for Research Administration
New York Medical College
40 Sunshine Cottage Road, GN-B28
Valhalla, NY  10595-1524
914.594.2600
xxxxxx@nymc.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@nymc.edu>

xxxxxx@central.uh.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@central.uh.edu>

====================================================================== Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:21:43 +0000
From:    "Nash, Karyn P" <xxxxxx@UIC.EDU>
Subject: FDP Agreement

Is it just me or have the FDP Templates for Subawards been taken off the National Academies website?

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:38:12 +0000
From:    Carol Sprague <xxxxxx@RESEARCH.UMASS.EDU>
Subject: Job Opportunity Posting

Director, Financial and
Cost Analysis
Directs the campus' wide ranging cost analysis activities including, but
not limited to, preparation of the indirect cost proposal, compliance
with federal cost principles, including cost accounting standards,
development of other indirect cost models and service center rates.
Responsible for negotiating the federal indirect cost rate.
Responsibilities
* Prepares the Amherst campus Facilities and Administration (F&A)
Rate, develops and maintains systems to capture allowable costs.
Negotiates the F&A rate with the department of Health and Human
Services. Develops and maintains the Indirect Cost Policy and
Procedure manual and policy manual on service center rate development.
* Manages the ECRT faculty effort reporting system and campus cost
sharing model. Prepares and conducts training programs for campus
constituencies related to compliance with federal and campus
costing policies.
* Develops and maintains campus costing models including the
administrative overhead rate, standard cost rate and utility rates;
develops and performs analysis on existing and proposed service
center rates to ensure compliance with campus, state, and federal
regulations. Develops campus capital financing strategies and projections.
* Ensures campus compliance with University cost accounting standards
(OMB, A-81, and CASB). Analyzes, develops, and implements
campus policies and procedures in support of federal standards.
* Advises senior campus administrators, including Provost, Vice
Chancellors, Deans, and Directors, on regulatory issues and their
impact on campus operations. Recommends policies to meet
administrative and fiscal requirements, particularly in the area of
rate setting.
* Conducts special projects for the Amherst campus including NSF
annual survey, GEO rate evaluation, and financial analysis that
require development and implementation of data collection models
as well as analysis of results. Communicates this information to
senior administrators.
* Performs related duties as assigned or required to meet Department,
Executive Area/Division, and University goals and objectives.
* Prepares administrative and fiscal reports; prepares budgets, provides
for hiring, training, assignment and direction of personnel; evaluates
performance of direct reports.
Qualifications
Required:
* Master's degree in Business or related field with 7 years of experience
in financial management or cost accounting; or Specialized training
and Certification in CPA with 7 years of experience in financial
management or cost accounting; or Bachelor's degree in Business or
related field with 10 years of experience in financial management or
cost accounting.
* Knowledge of federal grant regulations including OMB A-21 and CAS.
* Experience with PC and mainframe systems.
* Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
* Ability to work independently in the application cost theory and
practice.
Preferred:
* Higher education experience.
* Indirect cost rate preparation experience.
* Expertise in fund accounting.
Salary commensurate with skills and experience
Application Instructions:
Please submit a resume, cover letter detailing your relevant work
experience, and three names of references including their contact
information to: http://umass.interviewexchange.com/jobofferdetails.
jsp?JOBID=55816. Applicants should apply by the priority deadline
of: January 20, 2015, in order to ensure consideration.
The University of Massachusetts Amherst is an Affirmative Action/Equal
Opportunity Employer of women, minorities, protected veterans, and
individuals with disabilities and enc

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:57:22 +0000
From:    "Aull, Robert Matthew" <xxxxxx@IU.EDU>

DeSandra,

The DHHS salary cap limits the RATE at which compensation is calculated, so for each grant it must be percent effort multiplied by the cap (assuming the investigator's institutional base salary exceeds the cap):

Grant 1: 10% x $183,300 = $18,330
Grant 2: 5% x $183,300 = $9,165

Robert Aull
Indiana University

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 12:23:58 -0600
From:    "Torbor, DeSandra" <xxxxxx@CENTRAL.UH.EDU>
Subject: FW: Salary Cap

I now understand the calculation of the salary cap. The base salary exceeded the cap for the month, so I have to use the Salary Cap as the base and the overage goes to the cost share account.

Thanks to those who responded. :)

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 13:19:23 -0500
From:    "Callahan, Tricia" <xxxxxx@MIAMIOH.EDU>
Subject: Question on NSF Biosketch

There has been a little debate regarding the interpretation of guidelines
for the NSF Biosketch on whether a paper under journal review can be
included under "Products."

This issue has been raised because the GPG states "Acceptable products must
be citable and accessible..." and it also states, "Unacceptable products
are unpublished documents not yet submitted for publication..."

One side argues that an article under review is not citable, while the
other argues that it will be citable if/ when accepted --and-- that an
article under review HAS been submitted for publication, therefore is an
acceptable product.

Thoughts?  Experiences?  With NIH we've not been allowed to include
publications under review, but I've not experienced this with NSF.

THANKS ALL, and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!

--

[image: logo]
*Tricia L. Callahan* *Director**, Proposal Development; Miami University

*"**The mission of the Office for the Advancement of Research & Scholarship
(OARS) is to encourage, facilitate, and support the Miami University
community in its effort to obtain external funding for all forms of
research, education, scholarly, creative, service, and outreach
activities."*

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 10:58:44 -0700
From:    Elizabeth Kingsley <xxxxxx@COLORADO.EDU>
Subject: NSF-Approved NCEs

Hi everyone,

One of our PIs inadvertently missed the 10-day deadline for the NSF grantee-approved NCE deadline, so we submitted an NSF-approved NCE request instead. Granted, this ended up being submitted a couple of months after the end date, but the final report was not yet submitted, and we've never had this be an issue before.

The NSF Program Officer declined the extension request, even after stating earlier that they would approve it, due to the late date we had submitted the request. Is NSF tightening up their deadlines on requests? Has anyone else run into this?

I appreciate both online and offline responses.

Best regards,
Beth

Beth Kingsley
Sr. Grant Officer
Office of Contracts & Grants
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine Street, 572 UCB
Boulder, Colorado 80309
O 303 492 2694
F 303 492 6421

NEW Uniform Guidance (2 CFR 200) is effective December 26, 2014!
Questions? Contact your Proposal Analyst or Grant Officer, or visit our website<http://www.colorado.edu/vcr/ocg-sponsored-research/omb-uniform-guidance>.

[cid:image001.png@01D036FB.219B2010]

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:00:15 +0000
From:    "Wood, Roger" <xxxxxx@INFOEDGLOBAL.COM>

The answer is 'yes'... You have to apply the cap on each grant budget and then in the end, you cannot (and will not) end up reimbursing a given person more than the salary cap amount in a year. So, you apply it individually, but the effect is 'collective'.

Roger

Roger Wood, ASSOCIATE VP, PRODUCT MANAGEMENT
xxxxxx@infoedglobal.com | +1.518.713.4200   ext  150
[logo.gif]<http://infoedglobal.com/>

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:39:14 +0000
From:    "Downey, Kaaren" <xxxxxx@MAIL.WTAMU.EDU>
Subject: Re: FDP Agreement

Nope Karyn it's still there. I was looking at it about 30 mins. ago.  Here's the url from the page  http://sites.nationalacademies.org/pga/fdp/PGA_063626.htm

Kaaren

Kaaren J. Downey  |  Executive Director    -
West Texas A&M University  |  Office of Sponsored Research Services
WTAMU Box 60217 | Killgore Center | Room 178
Canyon, TX 79016-0001
Phone:  806.651-3554  |  Fax: 806.651-3555  |  xxxxxx@wtamu.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@wtamu.edu>
wtamu.edu/srs
See the latest news from Sponsored Research Services by clicking here!<http://www.wtamu.edu/academics/osra.aspx>

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 18:27:58 +0000
From:    "ETHEREDGE, STEVE" <xxxxxx@MAILBOX.SC.EDU>

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 19:30:28 +0000
From:    "Vincelli, Diana" <xxxxxx@RICHMOND.EDU>

Hopefully, they are being revised to comply with Uniform Guidance.
I inquired  with the FDP about that a month or so ago, and was told that a team was working on it.

Diana Thompson Vincelli
Director of Grant Support
Office of Foundation, Corporate & Government Relations<http://grants.richmond.edu/> (FCGR)
(mail) 28 Westhampton Way  (location) 104 Puryear Hall
University of Richmond<http://richmond.edu/>, VA  23173-0001
804.289.8005   fax 804.287.1433   mobile 804.426.6907

FCGR Internal Deadlines:
5 business days prior to submission deadline:

-         Final budget (request and cost share), budget justification, abstract

-         Potential subawardee commitment form with attachments
2 business days prior to submission deadline:

-         Complete proposal ready for submission.
Please contact FCGR for assistance on all aspects of external funding.

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:05:19 -0500
From:    Elizabeth Cline <xxxxxx@NEOMED.EDU>

Have they been updated for the Uniform Guidance changes?  If not, does anyone know when they will be?  Thanks.

Elizabeth Whippo Cline
Executive Director, Office of Research and Sponsored Programs
Human Protections Administrator, Institutional Review Board
Northeast Ohio Medical University
4209 St. Rt. 44, PO Box 95
Rootstown, Ohio 44272

xxxxxx@neomed.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@neomed.edu>
v  330.325.6498  f 330.325.5926

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 14:44:26 -0500
From:    Charna Howson <xxxxxx@APPSTATE.EDU>
Subject: Re: Question on NSF Biosketch

HI Tricia!

Don't forget to include the "...AND accessible..."  Just because it was
submitted doe not mean the publisher will select it.  I would tend to
omit as you can generally send notice of publication to the Program
Officer for an update when published after submission.

Cheers,
Charna

On 1/23/2015 1:19 PM, Callahan, Tricia wrote:
> There has been a little debate regarding the interpretation of
> guidelines for the NSF Biosketch on whether a paper under journal
> review can be included under "Products."
>
> This issue has been raised because the GPG states "Acceptable products
> must be citable and accessible..." and it also states, "Unacceptable
> products are unpublished documents not yet submitted for publication..."
>
> One side argues that an article under review is not citable, while the
> other argues that it will be citable if/ when accepted --and-- that an
> article under review HAS been submitted for publication, therefore is
> an acceptable product.
>
> Thoughts?  Experiences?  With NIH we've not been allowed to include
> publications under review, but I've not experienced this with NSF.
>
> THANKS ALL, and HAPPY FRIDAY!!!
>

> --
> logo
>       *Tricia L. Callahan* /Director//, Proposal Development; Miami
> University Office for the Advancement of Research & Scholarship (OARS)/
> Tel: 513-529-1795 | Address: 102 Roudebush, 500 E High St, Oxford, OH
> 45056
> xxxxxx@MiamiOH.edu <mailto:xxxxxx@MiamiOH.edu> |
> http://www.MiamiOH.edu/research
> <http://twitter.com/MiamiOH_OARS>
> <http://www.pinterest.com/MiamiOH_OARS/>
>
> /"//The mission of the Office for the Advancement of Research &
> Scholarship (OARS) is to encourage, facilitate, and support the Miami
> University community in its effort to obtain external funding for all
> forms of research, education, scholarly, creative, service, and
> outreach activities."/

> "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)
>
> A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

*
*

*
To better serve you and your colleagues, we ask that you remember to
submit your completed proposal and fully signed internal routing forms
to the Office of Sponsored Programs five working days prior to the
sponsor deadline. We appreciate your assistance.

Thank you for your support
*

Charna K. Howson
Director, Sponsored Programs
Office of Research
Appalachian State University
384 John E. Thomas Hall, ASU Box 32174
Boone, NC 28608-2068
828-262-7311 (Office)
828-262-2641 (Fax)

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 15:54:39 -0500
From:    Theresa Defino <xxxxxx@AOL.COM>

Remember that these are PRE-Uniform Guidance.

There is a federal working group working on new research terms and conditions but they are several months away from completion.

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 21:51:32 +0000
From:    "Nelson, Heather (xxxxxx@uidaho.edu)" <xxxxxx@UIDAHO.EDU>

Does anyone know whether the 2CFR 200 certification statement for invoices is going to be built into the new template?

Heather Nelson
Associate Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Idaho
208-885-6680

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:09:51 +0000
From:    "Nash, Karyn P" <xxxxxx@UIC.EDU>

The FDP Agreement has not been updated to comply with Uniform Guidance changes.  I received the following information on the topic from my Director who attended the January FDP meeting:

The FDP task force is working on revising the FDP sub award but they cannot move because we have no new research terms and conditions under Uniform Guidance.

The NSF and NIH are co-chairing the Research Business Model (RBM) committee to come up with new "Research Terms and Conditions" but none of the DOD agencies have signed on to that effort as of yet.

The FDP January 2015 meeting presentations are posted on the FDP website.  You may access them by clicking on the following link January 2015 FDP Presentations<http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/fdp/PGA_153323>, or by visiting the Meetings page on the FDP website at www.thefdp.org<http://www.thefdp.org>.

Please note, these are all the presentations that we have so far, all others will be posted as we receive them.

Thank you.

Claudette

Claudette Baylor-Fleming
Administrative Coordinator
The National Academies
Federal Demonstration Partnership - FDP
Government-University-Industry Research Roundtable - GUIRR
500 Fifth Street, NW | Washington, DC 20001
Tel: 202-334-3994 | Fax: 202-334-1396 | xxxxxx@nas.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@nas.edu>

"Anger Dwells Only in the Bosom of Fools."

[GUIRR - 2]

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 17:06:43 -0500
From:    Jill Borland <xxxxxx@GMAIL.COM>

Keep in mind that the salary cap refers to those faculty/investigators with 12 month appointments. It equates to a monthly cap of $15,275. For those with 9 month academic appointments, the salary cap is $137,475.

Jill M. Borland, CRA
Associate Director • Office of Sponsored Proposals & Awards
University Research Services & Administration • Georgia State University
(404) 413-3570 • xxxxxx@gsu.edu

Mailing address: PO Box 3999, Atlanta, GA  30302-3999

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:05:24 +0000
From:    "Baumann, John R" <xxxxxx@IU.EDU>

Gotcha  - thanks again

John

John R. Baumann, Ph.D.
Assistant Vice President for Research Compliance
Office of Research Compliance
Office of Vice President for Research
Indiana University
xxxxxx@iu.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@iu.edu>
317.278.7830 (IUB & IUPUI office)
816.695.7146 (cell)
http://researchcompliance.iu.edu
-

From: Theresa Defino <xxxxxx@AOL.COM<mailto:xxxxxx@AOL.COM>>
Date: Friday, January 23, 2015 at 3:54 PM
To: "xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org<mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>" <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org<mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>>

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 22:30:14 +0000
From:    Michelle M Schoenecker <xxxxxx@UWM.EDU>

I agree!  I would also argue that just because a manuscript is accepted doesn’t mean that it will actually get published by the time the proposal is reviewed and/or an award is made – the publisher may require the faculty member to make significant changes, or choose to publish it in an issue set to print months from now.  I’d omit it - better safe than sorry!

Michelle M. Schoenecker, M.A.
Proposal Development Services
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee
P.O. Box 340
Milwaukee, WI 53201

xxxxxx@MiamiOH.edu<mailto:xxxxxx@MiamiOH.edu> | http://www.MiamiOH.edu/research
[https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/twitter.png]<http://twitter.com/MiamiOH_OARS> [https://s3.amazonaws.com/images.wisestamp.com/icons/pinterest.png] <http://www.pinterest.com/MiamiOH_OARS/>

=========================

------------------------------

Date:    Fri, 23 Jan 2015 23:25:37 -0500
From:    Chris Thompson <xxxxxx@MODERAS.ORG>

I attended the last FDP meeting and it was clear that agencies were not
prepared to release their interim policies on the Uniformed Guidance.
Almost everyone I spoke with came away with the same two impressions.

 * Everyone will have to scramble to get pre-interim guidance or the
 guidance before the interim guidance that comes before the official
 guidance to the uniform guidance.  Yes, I know that's a run on
 sentence but unfortunately I think it accurately reflects reality.
 * The uniform guidance appears to be less uniform than the guidance
 already in place as many of the agencies are interpreting it very
 differently.  So if every agency is going to interpret it
 differently, how uniform will it ultimately be?

There were some great discussions about what the FDP is planning to do
to address some of these concerns, the session on Research Terms and
Conditions is a good exmaple.  For those of you who could not attend you
can review the presentations at
http://sites.nationalacademies.org/PGA/fdp/PGA_153323, it's open to all.

-Chris