Application storage Charles Hathaway (10 Jan 2015 11:01 EST)
Re: Application storage dougm (Doug Mounce) (10 Jan 2015 12:41 EST)

Re: Application storage dougm (Doug Mounce) 10 Jan 2015 12:41 EST

From a small, non-profit perspective with ~20 years accumulated proposals...

We keep entire applications.
Forever
yes, unsuccessful (i.e., denied) proposals too
We now only have electronic files, so...
Electronic institutional files have an off-site duplicate.

Auditors interested in proposals?  not yet

This is a sponsored projects responsibility.  We are in the process of formalizing our retention of expired awards, and I'd be interested to hear of any liability for expired proposals.  thanks!
Doug Mounce

________________________________
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] on behalf of Charles Hathaway [xxxxxx@EINSTEIN.YU.EDU]
Sent: Saturday, January 10, 2015 8:01 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Application storage

I would like to know about the regulations governing storage of grant applications and the range of methods employed by different institutions to meet these requirements.
In particular:
1) Do you keep entire applications or just summaries with budgets?
2) How long do you keep this information?
3) Do you keep unsuccessful proposals?
4) Do you rely on S2S systems and agency systems (e.g. eRA Commons, Fastlane) or do you use other electronic tools?  Or you scan to pdf or print to hard copy?
5) What is the general feeling about storage on institutional servers vs off-site hosted servers?
6) Have auditors ever asked to see applications?
7) Is this job primarily the concern and responsibility of sponsored projects or finance/accounting?
Off-list replies are fine.
Thanks very much.
Charlie Hathaway

====================================================================== Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help ======================================================================