Re: RESADM-L Digest - 1 Dec 2014 to 2 Dec 2014 (#2014-80) Gwendolyn Caramanica 03 Dec 2014 13:00 EST

Hi Caroline,

Per the new NSF GPG 15-1, any unpaid senior personnel should be listed on the Cover Sheet and their role described in the Facilities, Equipment and other Resources section of the proposal. They should not be listed in the budget or budget justification.

http://www.nsf.gov/pubs/policydocs/pappguide/nsf15001/gpg_index.jsp

"For consistency with the NSF cost sharing policy, if person months will be requested for senior personnel, a corresponding salary amount must be entered on the budget. If no person months and no salary are being requested for senior personnel, they should be removed from Section A of the budget. Their name(s) will remain on the Cover Sheet and the individual(s) role on the project should be described in the Facilities, Equipment and other Resources section of the proposal." Section II. Proposal Preparation Instructions, C. Proposal Contents, 2. Sections of the Proposal, g. Budget and Budget Justification, (i) Salaries and Wages

Hope this helps :)

Gwendolyn Caramanica, CRA | Financial Analyst
Dept of Chemical Engineering & Materials Science
University of California at Davis
1 Shields Ave | Davis, CA 95616

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Caroline Leopold
Sent: Tuesday, November 25, 2014 10:20 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] NIH STTR budget questions

I have contacted the relevant NIH grant manager, but am getting bounced emails (gasp). I called and left a telephone message with her, but would love some expertise from the List.

I am assembling an STTR budget that includes substantial matched funding. There will be two fellows on the university side. They have funding from other sources.

Would it be acceptable to list $0 as requested salary and then include a detailed explanation in the justification?

My other question: Is this match funding of research effort calculated in the university total effort. With STTR, the university is supposed to have a minimum of 30% (and company 40%).

Thank you for whatever help you can offer. And feel free to point me to published guidance.

Thanks so much!

Caroline

--
Caroline Leopold, GPC
Grants Consultant & Medical Writer

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help