Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Jen Donais (01 Aug 2014 08:41 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Betcher, Gina I (01 Aug 2014 08:47 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Ferland, Joyce H. (01 Aug 2014 11:13 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Stephen Kosciolek (01 Aug 2014 12:58 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Farnsworth, Franci (01 Aug 2014 14:15 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Jeanne Viviani (01 Aug 2014 15:26 EST)
Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Dara Little (01 Aug 2014 14:37 EST)

Re: Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system Farnsworth, Franci 01 Aug 2014 14:15 EST
We have a manual T&E system, and we have always been willing to use that system to document uncompensated effort of our faculty (generally summer effort of 9 month faculty, but it would work for part-time faculty as well).   We use the same base salary that we would use if we were paying them.      It is basically "volunteer" effort.      We use the value of that effort to document in-kind contribution of F&A.      We have done this is subawards monitored by a research institution and it's obviously passed by our auditors.

Our manual T&E system is "plan/confirmation" - so faculty indicate their planned effort before it happens and then verify that effort afterwards, just as though they were paid.

Franci

Frances Vinal Farnsworth
Associate Director of Grants  & Sponsored Programs
Middlebury College
Middlebury, VT 05733
Email:  xxxxxx@middlebury.edu
Telephone:  802-443-5889

From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] on behalf of Stephen Kosciolek [xxxxxx@STEVENS.EDU]
Sent: Friday, August 01, 2014 1:58 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] Capturing volunteer effort in effort reporting system

Jennifer,

I am assuming you are talking about a 9 month faculty member working over the summer.  We have never tried this, and I have never seen it done at any of the universities I have worked for.

If I were to try this, I would treat it as a volunteer service under A-110 section C23d.  You can read the details yourself, but in effect, you would need to come up with the individual’s rate of pay, and document both the pay rate, and time worked.  That would need to be counted as cost sharing on the award (and include the associated increase in the research base for F&A purposes).

Once you have a dollar value for the volunteer’s service that you can back up with appropriate documentation, you should have a reasonable basis for satisfying an auditor regarding the effort.

Good luck!

Stephen Kosciolek
Director of Sponsored Accounting and Cost Analysis
Office of Finance
T 201 216 3496
F 201 216 5137
[Stevens]<http://www.stevens.edu/>
[apps]<http://www.stevens.edu/news/content/stevens-releases-app-iphone-and-android>[facebook]<https://www.facebook.com/Stevens1870>[twitter]<https://twitter.com/FollowStevens>[rss]<http://www.stevens.edu/news/>[youtube]<http://www.youtube.com/user/EdwinAStevens70>