Re: New Uniform Guidance ('Super Circular') and Direct Costs/Admin and Clerical Salaries Lawrence Waxler (27 Feb 2014 09:26 EST)

Re: New Uniform Guidance ('Super Circular') and Direct Costs/Admin and Clerical Salaries Lawrence Waxler 27 Feb 2014 09:26 EST

Maryjane,

We are assuming that this applies to administrative and clerical
(a.k.a. support) staff, rather than to professional staff, deans,
chairs, etc., but the issue is similar in both cases.

For support staff, we have always applied a test to the charging of
that staff as having to be significant in terms of task and time;
specifically identified, budgeted, and justified - and obviously
approved by the sponsor; and not otherwise included in F&A.

So, for us, this is no real change. We view it as a relaxing of the
Federal standard.

As to professional staff, deans, chairs, etc., I do not think that
Section 200.413 applies, but I would still apply the same test. If use
of those individuals is significant we would require the same standards
to be applied.

Larry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine
1 Chamberlain Avenue
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME  04104-9300
Telephone: 207-780-4413
Telefax: 207-780-4927

>>> Maryjane F Sager <xxxxxx@BINGHAMTON.EDU> 2/27/2014 8:37 AM >>>
This is only for administrative staff. You are always allowed to
include
the PI's time (which include Deans, faculty, etc) on grants.