Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Natasha Stark (17 Jan 2014 12:01 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Mears, Scott E. (17 Jan 2014 12:38 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment ONeill, Patricia (17 Jan 2014 14:16 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Marisa Steffers (17 Jan 2014 23:06 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Trish Brock (18 Jan 2014 15:03 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Vincelli, Diana (17 Jan 2014 14:48 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Schultz, Lori Ann Mcallester - (lschultz) (17 Jan 2014 13:16 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Moise, Jessica (17 Jan 2014 13:17 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Betcher, Gina I (17 Jan 2014 13:26 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Angela Willis (17 Jan 2014 13:54 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Donna Berger (17 Jan 2014 14:20 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Angela Williams (17 Jan 2014 14:44 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Sharon Brown-Smith (17 Jan 2014 13:34 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Deprey, Kimberly (17 Jan 2014 13:38 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Holmberg, Janet (17 Jan 2014 13:41 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment John Lawler (17 Jan 2014 14:19 EST)
Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Marta I. Torruella (17 Jan 2014 14:21 EST)

Re: Central Office Floor Plan & Work Environment Schultz, Lori Ann Mcallester - (lschultz) 17 Jan 2014 13:16 EST

My preaward staff (proposal review, approval, submission) sit in an open
office. My pros & cons, based on our history (over 8 years) of sitting
this way are:

The Pros:

-Training and coaching on questions and problems can be handled quickly
because we can hear or see that someone is having a problem
-The group can quickly strategize on heavy proposal deadlines to assess
workload, reassign reviews, etc to make sure we have coverage
-They learn so much from one another by hearing what their neighbors are
working on
-They can stop the ³phone tag² game where someone calls everyone in the
group looking for the answer they want to hear ;)

The Cons:

-Gets noisy, so this isn¹t for every kind of employee
-They sometimes need more space to meet with a PI or dept admin, which
adds some inconvenience in room scheduling
-Interpersonal problems are amplified when people don¹t get along

I hope this helps, and good luck.

Lori Ann M. Schultz
Assistant Director, Sponsored Projects Services |The University of Arizona
(520) 626-6308 / (520) 626-4137 fax
Skype: lori.ann.schultz | http://www.sps.arizona.edu | http://www.kuali.org