crowdfunding research - anybody have experience in this? Alexa Van Dalsem (13 Sep 2013 10:34 EST)
IPAs and Furloughs Schultz, Lori Ann Mcallester - (lschultz) (04 Oct 2013 15:27 EST)

crowdfunding research - anybody have experience in this? Alexa Van Dalsem 13 Sep 2013 10:34 EST

Hi Kris and RESADM list,

We started getting questions about crowdfunding, and I think we have a PI who started a crowdfunding project on his own. In response, our Vice Chancellor for Research's office worked out the following policy/procedure:

"For Graduate students wishing to obtain support for work related to their thesis
1)  Crowdfunding proposals must be approved by the students advisor and the departmental chair. The advisor and the student are responsible for ensuring that the work proposed is in compliance with all campus policies and regulations.
2) Crowdfunding requests for more than $10K must also be reviewed and approved at the level of the Dean of the Graduate School.

For Faculty Members
1)      Faculty members making a funding request must go through the Office of Contracts and Grants to get their budget reviewed and approved. This allows the costs associated with the work (such as use of campus facilities) to be properly evaluated and charged for.
2)      The faculty member must ensure that the proposed activities are in compliance with all campus policies and regulations.
3)      Crowdfunding proposals must also be submitted to the Associate Vice Chancellor for Research so they can go through a campus review and approval process before the project is posted on any site.

The CU logo cannot be used to conduct private business.

We would like to suggest that units develop a local process to handle undergraduate student requests  for support for work related to their studies."

I haven't worked on a crowdfunding project yet, but have a PI who's ready to. Looking forward to the article in NCURA magazine. Hope this helps!

Alexa

Alexa Van Dalsem
Proposal Analyst - Office of Contracts and Grants
University of Colorado Boulder
3100 Marine Street, Room 475 | 572 UCB | Boulder, CO 80309-0572
Ph: 303.735.6525 | Fx: 303.492.6421

Date:    Thu, 12 Sep 2013 17:43:12 -0400
From:    Kristen Wolff <xxxxxx@FORDHAM.EDU>
Subject: crowdfunding research - anybody have experience in this?

Hi Folks!

One of my Bio professors put a research project on a crowdfunding site and
then let me know afterwards that if it gets funded the money will come here.
This would be a first for us. Has anyone received funding for research in
this way, and how did you handle it? Any advice would be welcome. Feel free
to email me directly at xxxxxx@fordham.edu.

Thanks!

Kris

Kris Wolff, MA, CRA

Manager, Office of Sponsored Programs

718-817-4086

http://www.fordham.edu/osp

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help