Re: Responses to Request for info on incentive plans to encourage proposal submission Lawrence Waxler (13 Jun 2013 08:30 EST)

Re: Responses to Request for info on incentive plans to encourage proposal submission Lawrence Waxler 13 Jun 2013 08:30 EST

We have done an annual PI recognition event here for many years, although it was canceled this year for several unrelated bad reasons.

Our event was also a wine/beer/hors d'oeuvres event and last year was held at the President's house. It has always been well attended.

What makes ours successful is that it is a fun event.

We give awards some examples of which have been:

> Longest proposal title (Sesquipedalian Propensity): we have given yard sticks, tape measures, swimming pool noodles.
> Shortest proposal title (Brevity): Short book of short stories
> Most proposals submitted (Productivity): pail and shovel
> Most awards (Prosperity): $1 million bills, $100,000 candy bars
> Collaboration (plays well with others): board games
> Farthest traveled: globe (a.k.a. GPS device), travel kit (toothpaste, comb, etc.)
> First proposal submission (Initiates): framed wall certificate signed by myself (OSP director) and the AVP for Research
> First award: framed dollar bill, signed as above

We also do a few serious awards:

>Hall of Fame for 10 Years of continuous funding: a plaque which hangs in the President's Office.
> We have done lifetime achievement awards

Generally, I speak, the President, Provost, and we have a keynote. Speeches are limited to 5-ish minutes so that we can focus on socialization and the fun awards ceremony.

Larry

>>> "Smith, Debbie L" <xxxxxx@UTHSC.EDU> 6/13/2013 8:22 AM >>>
I had three responses to my earlier request, and here they are (some folks requested that I share the info I received).  I've redacted some identifying info:

Faculty here didn't talk about money issues, even though the state hasn't given raises in about 7 years.  It was the help and recognition they wanted.  That and genuine release time to get the work done as opposed to just fitting it in to an already aggressive teaching, service, research schedule.  This is particularly an issue for the clinicians because research takes them out of the clinic which then reduces clinic revenues.  You can see how decreased revenues to the practice plan becomes a problem higher up the chain.

The frequent complaint that I've heard from faculty is lack of recognition and feeling that the "leaders" value research, consider it a priority or even know who they are and what they're doing.  I made the following suggestions and was  pretty much dismissed.  I still think they're good ideas and when I ran it by faculty they liked it, even if some of it sounds juvenile.

1.  Letter of congratulations upon receipt of a new award.
2.  Annual reception with President/Chancellor recognizing the "Top 25" (or whatever number) for their achievements.  We did this at (former institution) and while not very time consuming or expensive it was well attended and received.  Computer printed invites (RSVP requested) would be sent from the Presidents office to all their Deans, Dept. Chairs and to the members of supporting units such as Sponsored Programs. The 2-hour reception was planned at the president's home in May so that it could be held outdoors under a tent.  It included beer, wine, soft drink, fruit/cheese/cracker trays and a few passed hors d'oeuvres.  The president would say a few brief words, but mostly just work the room, congratulating each faculty member.  It wasn't an expensive event, but it was appreciated.  It could easily be done by a Dean for his college.
3.  I suggested that some sort of recognition item be given to Pis for their grants and when they reach certain milestones.  I gave small, clear acrylic "star" engraved paperweights as a gift to committee members once.  They cost less than $5 each.  I suggested that each milestone would be designated by a different color or size star.  Milestones might include:  first federal grant, first center/program project grant, first $1M grant, reaching $10M in funding...whatever.  The stars can be displayed by the PI and they'll soon become recognizable by size/color and symbolize a certain stature.  They could be distributed at an end of year faculty meeting or whatever.  The point is that they'd get tangible recognition in front of their peers.
4.  F&A returns are supposed to be an incentive, but I don't know that faculty get enough back to be incentivizing.  I think the availability of bridge funding for those that have a funding gap is helpful.
5.  As times have changed an "older" Pis are now finding their research programs unfunded, these folks need help readjusting to the new funding environment.  Perhaps getting them some technical writing help.

I feel its more about not making it complicated than it is about incentivizing.  Can you take a look at what is causing your faculty grief and make improvements in those things first?  Would your faculty be happier about proposals/awards if the process was just easier?  Adding incentivization, to me, could add more complications to an already complicated situation

I have, not surprisingly, a bad attitude on this type of thing.  Incentives are good and definitely are earned, but research and knowledge creation is your faculty's job, isn't it?  It's better to act as if this isn't a choice or a point of cajolery and do the incentives when they are successful.  Otherwise, I promise you will be paying people who want the incentive and you won't get their best work.  The only idea that's worse is "grantwriters."

Debbie

Deborah (Debbie) L. Smith, Ed.D.
Associate Vice Chancellor for Research
UTHSC
910 Madison, Suite 823
Memphis, TN  38163
901 448-4823 voice
901 448-7600 fax
xxxxxx@uthsc.edu

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help