New F&A Rate Agreement Davis, Karen (11 Jun 2013 14:15 EST)
Re: New F&A Rate Agreement Anne Pascucci (12 Jun 2013 09:00 EST)
Re: New F&A Rate Agreement Smith, Debbie L (12 Jun 2013 09:37 EST)
Re: New F&A Rate Agreement Lawrence Waxler (12 Jun 2013 09:47 EST)
Re: New F&A Rate Agreement Thurston, Jeffrey (12 Jun 2013 11:26 EST)

Re: New F&A Rate Agreement Thurston, Jeffrey 12 Jun 2013 11:26 EST

This is correct! NIH will always use the rate agreement in effect at the time of the award. Even if it hasn't been published at the time of the award they will more than likely revise the award and use the new rate (up or down) after it is issued.

Jeff Thurston
Research Operations Coordinator
Center for Childhood Cancer and Blood Diseases,
Division of Hematology, Oncology and BMT
The Research Institute at
Nationwide Children’s Hospital
700 Children's Drive,
Columbus, Ohio  43205
614-355-3671
xxxxxx@nationwidechildrens.org

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Lawrence Waxler
Sent: Wednesday, June 12, 2013 10:47 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: Re: [RESADM-L] New F&A Rate Agreement

From A-21:

G.  Determination and application of F&A cost rate or rates

7. Fixed rates for the life of the sponsored agreement.

a. Federal agencies shall use the negotiated rates for F&A costs in effect at the time of the initial award throughout the life of the sponsored agreement. "Life" for the purpose of this subsection means each competitive segment of a project. A competitive segment is a period of years approved by the Federal funding agency at the time of the award. If negotiated rate agreements do not extend through the life of the sponsored agreement at the time of the initial award, then the negotiated rate for the last year of the sponsored agreement shall be extended through the end of the life of the sponsored agreement. Award levels for sponsored agreements may not be adjusted in future years as a result of changes in negotiated rates.

Larry

>>> Anne Pascucci <xxxxxx@CNU.EDU> 6/12/2013 10:00 AM >>>
Hello Karen,

It has always been my experience and rule of thumb that what ever the rate used at the time of submission whether for chargin or cost matching, is the rate to be used if the award is made.

I hope that this is helpful.

Best~

On Tue, Jun 11, 2013 at 3:15 PM, Davis, Karen
<xxxxxx@wichita.edu>wrote:

>  We received our new rate agreement (effective 7/1/13) from DHHS.
Our
> prior agreement only used an “Organized Research” rate and our
new
> agreement has two additional rates – “Instruction” and “Other
Sponsored
> Activities”.  ****
>
> ** **
>
> We are expecting a couple of awards with project start dates after
7/1/13
> that were proposed using uncovered indirects (rate was capped by
sponsor)
> as match based on our organized research rate of 46% (as that was the
only
> rate available at the time of proposal).  These projects would now
fall
> under “other sponsored activities” (significantly lower rate)
which will

--
Anne M. Pascucci, MPA, CRA
Director, Sponsored Programs