No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development) (06 Jun 2013 07:28 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Charlie Tardivo RACS LLC (06 Jun 2013 10:00 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Lawrence Waxler (06 Jun 2013 12:52 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Simons, Alyssa A. (06 Jun 2013 13:13 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Laura Letbetter (06 Jun 2013 13:59 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Stroud, Suzanne (06 Jun 2013 12:01 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Moise, Jessica (06 Jun 2013 12:38 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Farnsworth, Franci (06 Jun 2013 14:00 EST)
Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Morton, Bonnie (06 Jun 2013 14:01 EST)

Re: No Cost Extensions - Unwritten Rule? Farnsworth, Franci 06 Jun 2013 14:00 EST

We have approved NCE's for R-15's many, many times without ever looking at the balance available (other than to be sure there were funds remaining) - there's no place to provide that information, NIH has never asked.

There is the "rule" for standard NIH grants subject to non-competing continuation requirements that you have to state if there will be uncommitted funds exceeding 25% of the current year's awarded budget, and if so you have to provide an explanation for why and what the plans are (and now, with new RPPR requirements you actually have to state how much).   But that's not a "no cost extension"!

I've heard both NIH and NSF program officers talk about the first NCE as something that's basically pro forma  - with little recognition that institutions actually are supposed to have a process in place to review and approve the rationale!

Franci

FRANCES VINAL FARNSWORTH
COORDINATOR OF SPONSORED RESEARCH
DAVIS FAMILY LIBRARY 223
MIDDLEBURY COLLEGE
MIDDLEBURY, VT 05753

TEL:  802-443-5889
EMAIL:  xxxxxx@MIDDLEBURY.EDU
HTTP://WWW.MIDDLEBURY.EDU/OFFICES/SUPPORT/GRANTS