off-campus indirect cost rates Matthew Katz (20 Feb 2013 13:27 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Barron, Jennifer (20 Feb 2013 13:30 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Aull, Robert Matthew (20 Feb 2013 13:56 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Lawrence Waxler (20 Feb 2013 14:09 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Gagne, Marc (20 Feb 2013 13:33 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Scott Niles (20 Feb 2013 13:34 EST)
Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Charlie Tardivo RACS LLC (20 Feb 2013 13:41 EST)

Re: off-campus indirect cost rates Lawrence Waxler 20 Feb 2013 14:09 EST

Matt,

Slightly longer explanation:

The F&A rate is made up of two components Facilities and Administration.

Since the Federal government caps the Administration component at 26%, off-campus rates, which do not contain the Facilities component, generally are 26%. Some institutions have off-campus rates below that, but it is rare that administrative costs at an  institution fall below the cap.

When using an off-campus rate, it is allowable to direct charge those costs which would normally be in the facility component of your on-campus rate. An example of this would be rental fees incurred for a facility which would most likely include utilities, janitorial services, etc.

At my institution, because we have had some large off-campus rental locations, we considered them to be on-campus, extended some campus services to them (telephone, internet, janitorial services, etc.) and charged our full on-campus rate. We then internally charged the associated costs against the F&A recovery.

Larry

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Larry Waxler, Director
Office of Sponsored Programs
University of Southern Maine
1 Chamberlain Avenue
P.O. Box 9300
Portland, ME  04104-9300
Telephone: 207-780-4413
Telefax: 207-780-4927

>>> "Barron, Jennifer" <xxxxxx@JHSPH.EDU> 2/20/2013 1:30 PM >>>
Yes. A simplified explanation is it's essentially just the "A" of our "F&A". No facilities costs are included.