Question about use of tadpoles in research Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development) (10 Sep 2012 09:06 EST)
Re: Question about use of tadpoles in research J. Michael Slocum (10 Sep 2012 09:41 EST)

Question about use of tadpoles in research Johnson, Landy (Director of Grant Development) 10 Sep 2012 09:06 EST

Do tadpoles have a backbone?  Only vertebrate animals are covered by IACUC regulations.  Also, because of their stage of development, are they considered to be "alive?"  One of our professors uses chick embryos in research, and because they are less than 7 days old they are not considered "live animals" and therefore do not come under IACUC regulations.  When that question came up for us, we resolved it by making a call to the Director of the Office of Laboratory Animal Welfare in the Office of Extramural Research at NIH.  They do respond to phone calls and are very helpful!  The phone number for OLAW is 301-496-7163.

Landy

----------------------------
Landy C. Johnson, MPA, Ph.D.
Assistant Professor of Economics and Geography
Director of Grant Development
Assumption College Provost Suite
500 Salisbury St., Worcester, MA 01609-1296
508-767-7666
xxxxxx@assumption.edu

Date:    Fri, 7 Sep 2012 10:35:49 -0400
From:    Christine Hempowicz <xxxxxx@BRIDGEPORT.EDU>
Subject: Question about use of tadpoles in research

Dear Listserv Members:

Could anyone tell me if tadpoles are covered by the Animal Welfare Act or any regulations regarding the use of animals in research? I can't remember.
Our institution does not have an IACUC and one faculty member is asking.

Thank you!

Christine Hempowicz

Christine Hempowicz, Ed.D., CRA
Director, Office of Sponsored Research and Programs University of Bridgeport Wahlstrom Library, Room 716 xxxxxx@bridgeport.edu
(203) 576-4973

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help