Consultant Fees Gloria Greene (07 Jun 2012 16:09 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Robert Bienkowski (07 Jun 2012 17:14 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Young, Katherine S (08 Jun 2012 06:24 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Athey, Rochelle R [VPRED] (08 Jun 2012 08:51 EST)
Re: Consultant Fees Ratcliffe, Victoria (08 Jun 2012 09:11 EST)

Re: Consultant Fees Athey, Rochelle R [VPRED] 08 Jun 2012 08:51 EST

In a somewhat related area, we're having a discussion at ISU right now on whether it is appropriate for a consultant to be considered an "Investigator" under the PHS FCOI regulations.

I think that the answer is "no" and that they should be treated as a vendor,  The rationale is that a consultant should not be designing, conducting, or reporting the research - those activities should be provided by the prime's employees and/or  subrecipients/collaborators.

This viewpoint seems to coincide with the A-133 vendor definitions.

One of the issues that arose during discussions was what to do when a PI wants to hire someone to design, conduct and report on the research (i.e. be an Investigator under PHS regs) but that person isn't employed by an entity or exist as an LLC. The determination we came to is that that individual either must be employed by the university or must incorporate so that we can then treat them as a subrecipient, rather than as a consultant.

I don't think that a consultant's fee is all profit, just fyi; just like universities, they have costs, both direct and indirect, that have to be covered by the fee.  Anything above those costs would be profit.

Rochelle R. Athey, CRA
Director
Office of Sponsored Programs Administration
Iowa State University
1138 Pearson Hall
Ames Iowa 50011-2207
Phone:  515-294-7723