Computing summer salary Downey, Kaaren (01 Jun 2012 18:20 EST)
Re: Computing summer salary Donna Berger (02 Jun 2012 07:22 EST)
Re: Computing summer salary Gilkey, Shane (02 Jun 2012 08:08 EST)
Re: Computing summer salary Barbara H. Gray (04 Jun 2012 08:38 EST)
Re: Computing summer salary Downey, Kaaren (04 Jun 2012 09:54 EST)

Re: Computing summer salary Donna Berger 02 Jun 2012 07:22 EST

Kaaren,

Institutional base pay is always the basis of our calculations for summer
salary. The money flows to the institution to pay the faculty and it is the
base salary is used for projects that are taking place in the institution's
name under a sponsored agreement. We do include a percentage increase for
each year to account for salary increases. It is up to the institution to
set policies, not the faculty member. We do the same for a subcontract with
another institution. Everyone is happy with more money, but not at the
expense of putting your own institution at risk.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

From:	"Downey, Kaaren" <xxxxxx@MAIL.WTAMU.EDU>
To:	xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Date:	06/01/2012 08:12 PM
Subject:	[RESADM-L] Computing summer salary
Sent by:	Research Administration List
 <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>

Dear Colleagues,

I really need some feedback on a scenario we’ve been bantering around and I
would greatly appreciate your thoughts and experiences.  Here’s the
scenario, we are a state institution, a 9 month appointee works on research
during the summer.  Some of the research funding is Federal and some is
not.  The projects are being conducted at the university and the funding is
flowing through the university.  By my reading of A-21 it makes it pretty
clear that we have to base the summer salary on the rate of pay received
during the academic year.  Has anyone identified a method to pay more than
the academic year base pay level if the work doesn’t fall into an overload
situation nor does it fall under a classification that would qualify for
incidental pay?

What we are hearing from some faculty is that because they are not on
contract during the summer that there is no ceiling on what they can be
paid.  (What the market will bear is their outlook.)  I haven’t swallowed
that hook yet but want to hear from my peers regarding similar experiences
you may have had and if you found a work around to be legal (i.e., A-21
compliant) and make your faculty researchers happy.

I know an investigator could work on a consulting project and bring in
additional salary but that would be separate from institutional salary and
would be treated as a personal income situation for the investigator.
Unless one of you have some other thoughts for how we can keep the funds
in-house this is my suggested work around for salary over the academic year
level of base pay.

Even saying there really isn’t a way around retaining the summer base pay
level at that of the academic year would be helpful because it would let me
know what other institutions are doing.  Thanks in advance for any crumb
you can throw my way.

Kaaren

Kaaren J. Downey  |  Executive Director    -
West Texas A&M University  |  Office of Sponsored Research Services
WTAMU Box 60217 | Killgore Center | Room 178
Canyon, TX 79016-0001
Phone:  806.651-3554  |  Fax: 806.651-3555  |  xxxxxx@wtamu.edu
wtamu.edu/srs
See the latest news from Sponsored Research Services by clicking here!
Latest article on our website: “4 Steps to Build Both Tenure and a Research
Career”

in the upper right corner)

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help
 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help