Minimum Requirements for PI Eligibility? Settle, Sherrie E (21 Mar 2012 12:05 EST)
Re: Minimum Requirements for PI Eligibility? Hearns, Rene (21 Mar 2012 13:23 EST)
Re: Minimum Requirements for PI Eligibility? Donna Berger (25 Mar 2012 14:09 EST)

Re: Minimum Requirements for PI Eligibility? Donna Berger 25 Mar 2012 14:09 EST

Sherrie,

All our PIs must be full-time employees because the PI is taking
responsibility for the proposed work on behalf of the institution. Our
policy does state that under exceptional circumstances, a person might
request that an exception to this rule be made, but we have yet to make any
exceptions. If an adjunct were to get involved in a proposal, a full-time
employee would still be the PI and take responsibility for the work.
However, the difficulty becomes what base to use for the adjunct salary. We
base the request on our adjunct pay rate and this usually is not what the
adjunct had in mind. For renewable or short-term  contracts, we would use
the base salary, but again they would not be the PI.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

From:	"Settle, Sherrie E" <xxxxxx@UNC.EDU>
To:	xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Date:	03/21/2012 02:02 PM
Subject:	[RESADM-L] Minimum Requirements for PI Eligibility?
Sent by:	Research Administration List
 <xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>

Dear Colleagues,

In our current economic circumstances, we are seeing more creative
structuring of personnel appointments that do not always mesh well with our
PI eligibility policy.  For those willing to share (either to the group or
off-list):
 ·         Does your institution have a minimum employment
 relationship (e.g. minimum % FTE) to be named as PI on a proposal,
 grant or contract?
 ·         Are there special provisions for former/intermittent
 employees, non-salaried adjunct faculty or emeriti faculty?
 ·         Are there distinctions for human subjects research?

Thanks, everyone.

Sincerely,
Sherrie

Sherrie Settle
Director, Pre-award Services
Office of Sponsored Research
104 Airport Drive, Suite 2200
Chapel Hill, NC 27599-1350
Ph: (919) 843-0874
Fax: (919) 962-5011
xxxxxx@unc.edu

http://research.unc.edu/Offices/sponsored-research/index.htm

in the upper right corner)

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help
 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help