Faculty with Dual Appointments Marina Aloyets (06 Mar 2012 12:48 EST)
Re: Faculty with Dual Appointments Bonnie Kwit (06 Mar 2012 13:52 EST)
Re: Faculty with Dual Appointments Lise Schioler (06 Mar 2012 14:26 EST)

Re: Faculty with Dual Appointments Bonnie Kwit 06 Mar 2012 13:52 EST

I would think if the  Institutional Official at Institution X allows her/him
to  be a PI representing "their" organization then it would be all right.
The only problem I could see would be certifying the salary commitment based
only on a one day appointment at X.   Most institutions have policies on the
eligibility of submitting PIs.  Usually, special permissions can be granted
but ultimately I would think it would be up to Institution X.

Bonnie Kwit
Grant and Contract Officer
Oakland University
Grants, Contracts, & Sponsored Research
505 Wilson Hall
(248) 370-4116

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List
[mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Marina Aloyets
Sent: Tuesday, March 06, 2012 12:49 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Faculty with Dual Appointments

Hi all,

I was wondering how you deal with the following issue: we have a full-time
faculty member at our institution that also has a 1-day/week appointment at
another public research institution (Institution X). The faculty member asks
me if they can submit as the PI with Institution X, since they will use most
of Institution X's equipment and resources . So far, I have always told her
that since her full-time appointment is here, she can only be the PI at our
institution, and someone at Institution X can be the Co-PI (subaward). Or
Institution X can be the prime (with another lead PI), and she can be the
CO-PI on the subaward to our institution.

What are your thoughts on this issue?

Thanks!
Marina

--
Marina Aloyets
Pre-Award Officer

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help