Re: Federal Agencies viewing University Systems as ONE Legal Entity Margarita M Cardona (07 Feb 2012 12:36 EST)
Re: Federal Agencies viewing University Systems as ONE Legal Entity Carolyn Elliott-Farino (07 Feb 2012 12:08 EST)
Re: Federal Agencies viewing University Systems as ONE Legal Entity Sharon Brown-Smith (07 Feb 2012 12:25 EST)

Re: Federal Agencies viewing University Systems as ONE Legal Entity Margarita M Cardona 07 Feb 2012 12:36 EST

You may also want to look at your incorporation or tax exempt documentation as proof.

Margarita M. Cardona, MS, CRA
Director of Sponsored Research
University of Baltimore

On Feb 7, 2012, at 1:29 PM, "Legeai, Randall J" <xxxxxx@TULANE.EDU<mailto:xxxxxx@TULANE.EDU>> wrote:

I believe most recent, but not yet released, NSF expenditures survey (FY 2010 - http://www.nsf.gov/statistics/srvyrdexpenditures/) essentially defined separate institutions within a system as those that had their own chancellors (or equivalent).  The purpose was to define when and how university systems with multiple campuses should be disaggregated for the purposes of reporting.  Perhaps that will help?
- Randy.

From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Jennifer Rutt
Sent: Tuesday, February 07, 2012 9:04 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org<mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>
Subject: [RESADM-L] Federal Agencies viewing University Systems as ONE Legal Entity

The EPA recently had a solicitation that limited submissions to one per institution. We are a part of a State University System that has multiple institutions governed by one Board of Regents. In this case, two of our institutions submitted proposals. The EPA has informed us that they see us as one legal entity since we're governed by one Board of Regents, and are asking us to provided documentation that we are separate legal entities with contracting authority.

Has anyone else come across this issue with the EPA or any Sponsor (Federal or otherwise)? How have you proven that the different institutions are separate legal entities? We have provided them with a list of information including state statutes, etc, but to no avail.

This could present a potential issue for many institutions if Sponsors start considering State University Systems as one legal entity rather than the individual institutions.

Thanks in advance for your input!

Jennifer N. Rutt
Grants Coordinator, Sponsored Programs
Office of Research & Economic Development
University of Nebraska-Lincoln

====================================================================== Instructions on how to use the RESADM-L Mailing List, including subscription information and a web-searchable archive, are available via our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

A link directly to helpful tips: http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help ======================================================================