Re: RESADM-L Digest - 25 Jan 2012 to 26 Jan 2012 (#2012-26) Chris Rigney 27 Jan 2012 14:19 EST

Standard practice at UCI is to propose our full federal rate for
sponsors without a published reduced rate.  The only other circumstance
generally where a reduced rate may be established is if the PI
(successfully) proceeds with a Campus Vital Interest waiver request that
must be approved for the campus by the Asst VC for Research or VC for
Research.  This request must clearly demonstrate that the research
involved is so vital and beneficial to the campus and community at large
that it merits an administrative reduction by the campus. As you can
imagine, these are pretty rare. Contact me off list if you would like to
see excerpts from policy on this.

I know that other organizations out there may allow reduced F&A
recovery, but the PI's dept must front the difference in F&A costs.

Best Regards,

Chris Rigney, JD
Senior Contract and Grant Officer
Sponsored Projects Administration

Telephone:  (949) 824-9816
xxxxxx@uci.edu

Please note that my office hours are 7am to 4pm PT, Monday through
Friday.  Sign up for the SPA listserv emailing:
xxxxxx@department-lists.uci.edu or
xxxxxx@department-lists.uci.edu.

SPA's next Quality Research Administration Meeting (QRAM) is scheduled
for Monday, March 12, 2012 in Emerald Bay B from 1:30 - 3:30pm.

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 05:28:17 -0500
From:    Debbie  McAllister <xxxxxx@AOL.COM>
Subject: osborn.95

Dear Publisher,
http://74.52.152.213/woaint.php?fjkpageID=47

 Thu, 26 Jan 2012 11:28:17
 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)

 A link directly to helpful tips:  http://tinyurl.com/resadm-l-help

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 09:21:31 -0500
From:    "Sarah M. Smith" <xxxxxx@NORTHCAROLINA.EDU>
Subject: University of North Carolina Greensboro - Position Announcement

The University of North Carolina Greensboro has announced the position
"Director, Office of Contracts and Grants."  Please go to the following
URL for more information about this opportunity:

http://provost.uncg.edu/Academic/EPA_Personnel/JobLists/DetailPage.asp?s
='13065'

Sarah Smith
Director of Sponsored Programs
UNC General Administration
910 Raleigh Road
Chapel Hill, NC 27514
(919) 962-4557 - phone
(919) 843-4942 - fax
(919) 698-8434 - cell
xxxxxx@northcarolina.edu

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 13:51:44 -0500
From:    Diana L Dubinsky <xxxxxx@CSUOHIO.EDU>
Subject: Re: F&A charged to sponsors without a published rate limitation

Hello Sharon!  We have a standard rate of 20% for all non-federal
awards.
We have begun to revisit this issue, so I would also be interested in
some
feedback.
Are non-profits charged less than for-profits?  Are large corporations
charged more??
Diana

Diana L. Dubinsky, CPA, CRA
Assistant Director
Office of Sponsored Programs and Research
Cleveland State University
2121 Euclid Avenue, PH301
Cleveland, Ohio  44115
Email:  xxxxxx@csuohio.edu
Phone:  216.687.3607
Fax:  216.687.9382

From:   "McWhorter,Sharon" <xxxxxx@UAKRON.EDU>
To:     xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Date:   01/19/2012 10:20 AM
Subject:        [RESADM-L] F&A charged to sponsors without a published
rate limitation
Sent by:        Research Administration List
<xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org>

We are reviewing our F&A rate policy and would like to hear from others
about what they allow for proposals to non-profit and foundation
sponsors
without a published rate limitation. Do you request your full F&A or do
you have a pre-established lower rate that you allow? Are there other
categories of sponsors for which you allow reduced F&A recovery? Thanks!

Sharon
Sharon McWhorter
Associate Director, ORSSP
The University of Akron
330-972-8311
xxxxxx@uakron.edu

our web site at http://www.healthresearch.org (click on the "LISTSERV"

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:07:11 -0500
From:    Mike McCallister <xxxxxx@GRANTSTREETSERVICES.COM>

Mike McCallister, Ph.D.
Grant Street Services, LLC
7821 N. Thames Drive
Bloomington, IN 47408
812.219.7473

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 21:26:54 +0000
From:    Sandra Nordahl <xxxxxx@FOUNDATION.SDSU.EDU>
Subject: Earn CPE/CEU Credits:  Pre Award and Post Award Meeting
Pre-Registration Ends February 1

One Stop for Intensive Training in Pre-Award, Post-Award, or Both

Sponsored by Society of Research Administrators International

Pre-Award Meeting, February 13-14
Support for Sponsored Programs Development
REGISTER
Pre-Award<http://www.srainternational.org/sra03/template/tntbpre-aw-12.c
fm?id=4843>

Post-Award Meeting, February 15-16
For the Mid-level Financial and Post-Award Administrator
REGISTER
Post-Award<http://www.srainternational.org/sra03/template/tntbpost-aw-12
.cfm?id=4847>

Member and Nonmember Rates Available

Come join us at the beautiful Fire and Sky Resort
located in Scottsdale, Arizona

Pre Award Meeting
This two day intensive program will train research administrators in
finding and disseminating funding opportunity information, proposal
development and submission, budget preparation, award review and
acceptance, post-submission communications, the responsible and ethical
conduct of research, eRA systems, and other relevant topics. Click here
for more information and to view the full
agenda<http://www.srainternational.org/sra03/template/tntbpre-aw-12.cfm?
id=4840>.

In addition to Continuing Education Credit, SRA members will receive the
SRA Pre Award Certificate.

Post Award Meeting
This two-day program, geared towards A-21, provides resources and
information for research administration's next generation of leaders.
Course content balances the needs of both small and large institutions,
and focuses on strategies attendees can use in their profession. Click
here for more information and to view the full
agenda<http://www.srainternational.org/sra03/template/tntbpost-aw-12.cfm
?id=4841>.

In addition to Continuing Education Credit, CPE's earn 16 hours of
credit.

For more information about our programs, visit www.srainternational.org

==================

------------------------------

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 14:53:37 -0700
From:    Robert Buel <xxxxxx@BOISESTATE.EDU>
Subject: NIH latest grant notice

Everyone,

Please help me decipher the latest changes sent down from NIH.

There are two changes that are unclear. Is this only for awards or also
proposals processed in FY12?

*FY2012 Funding Levels:  *Non-competing awards will be issued without
cost
of living/inflationary adjustments in FY 2012; however adjustments for
special needs (such as equipment and added personnel) will continue to
be
accommodated.    This policy applies to all grants (research and
non-research) when applicable.

*Inflationary Increases for Future Years:  *Inflationary increases for
future year commitments will be discontinued for all competing and
non-competing research grant awards issued in FY 2012, however
adjustments
for special needs (such as equipment and added personnel) will continue
be accommodated.

For these two changes are we not supposed to be budgeting for a cost of
living increase on NIH proposals now for future years?  Are we supposed
only use our current numbers for all years of the project?

Here's the link
http://grants.nih.gov/grants/guide/notice-files/NOT-OD-12-036.html

Robert Buel
Professional Staff Senator
Senior Research Administrator
Office of Sponsored Programs
xxxxxx@boisestate.edu
208-426-4430

Date:    Thu, 26 Jan 2012 16:56:23 -0600
From:    Jim Casey <xxxxxx@HOTMAIL.COM>
Subject: Position Opening: Coordinator of Foundation Relations, The
University of Texas at San Antonio

Dear Colleagues,

The University of Texas at San Antonio, Office of Foundation Relations,
has an immediate opening for a coordinator of foundation relations. Here
is their posting along with submission instructions:

___________

The University of Texas at San Antonio, Office of Foundation Relations,
seeks a Coordinator of Foundation Relations, with a minimum of two years
of development proposal or grant writing experience and one year of
project management experience. The coordinator will be responsible for
researching, writing and producing all funding proposals to charitable
foundations and organizations. Reporting to the Executive Director of
Major Gifts, the coordinator will work collaboratively with development
directors, faculty and staff, and the Office of Grants, Contracts and
Industrial Agreements. A Bachelor's degree is required. Interested
parties must apply online at https://www.utsajobs.com. Application
materials include a cover letter, resume and work sample. This is a
security sensitive position. Employment is contingent upon a successful
background check.  The University of Texas at San Antonio is an
Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity Employer. Women and minorities are
encouraged to apply.

Please feel free to forward to possible applicants.

Regards,

Jim Casey
Executive Director