Re: faculty salary question: is it feasible to use a contract amendment in place of an overload process? Lawrence Waxler (31 May 2011 15:06 EST)

Re: faculty salary question: is it feasible to use a contract amendment in place of an overload process? Lawrence Waxler 31 May 2011 15:06 EST

Laura,

Check A-21, Section 10. Compensation for personal services. Subsection D.  Salary rates for faculty members.

I think it is pretty clear that redefining the faculty member's salary as $68,611 would be a violation. (It would also have the effect of raising has 1/2 month pay from $3,611 to $3,811.)

A-21 also notes "However, in unusual cases where consultation is across departmental lines or involves a separate or remote operation, and the work performed by the consultant is in addition to his regular departmental load, any charges for such work representing extra compensation above the base salary are allowable provided that such consulting arrangements are specifically provided for in the agreement or approved in writing by the sponsoring agency."

At my institution, we allow faculty to teach one overload per semester (per union contract) on an exception/short-term basis. We also consider that a contact/grant equivalent is acceptable. However, in either case, an adjustment to workload would need to occur the following semester, or following year at the latest, to bring the workload back to 100%.

Larry

>>> Nicole Braman <xxxxxx@PDX.EDU> 5/31/2011 3:31 PM >>>
I would be curious about this as well. It came up at my institution a
couple of months ago and we did not allow it.