FW: [RESADM-L] Time & Effort for Private Grants?? Mike McCallister (26 May 2011 14:01 EST)
Re: FW: [RESADM-L] Time & Effort for Private Grants?? Bonnie Kwit (26 May 2011 14:38 EST)
Re: Time & Effort for Private Grants?? Blumberg-Romero, Laurie (26 May 2011 15:04 EST)
Re: FW: [RESADM-L] Time & Effort for Private Grants?? John Corcoran (26 May 2011 15:57 EST)

Re: Time & Effort for Private Grants?? Blumberg-Romero, Laurie 26 May 2011 15:04 EST

Great question on determining at what point one excludes employees from effort certification due to not being employed on federal projects.  We have some research coordinators working ONLY on industry sponsored grants, but there is a possibility that they can be back-up to another coordinator who has federally funded trials in the mix.  So, they are trained in EC and asked to complete the form so that they 'know' how to do it, if they are asked to fill in.

If we carve out certain individuals - then who tracks these people and provides education on the process/policy when the time comes?

And, finally, we have to do EC reporting on a two week timeframe so we don't have the luxury of time to do a quick training and collecting of the time/effort expended.

For those of you who carve out the non-federal folks, do you specify this in your policies?

Laurie

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Mike McCallister
Sent: Thursday, May 26, 2011 1:01 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] FW: [RESADM-L] Time & Effort for Private Grants??

??z{S???}?????xj???*'???O*^??m??Z?w!j??????Maybe I didn't know it, but this is what I wanted to say.

Spanky

The easiest way to phrase the regulations might be:

1. If an employee works on a federal or fed pass through project, then the university must certify time and effort for that individual, and the certification must include all activities, including other federal, nonfederal, and private foundation grants and contracts.  All activity for the individual must be included in the effort report.

2.  If an employee does not work on a federal or fed pass through project, no effort certification is required.

Some schools create effort certification for all employees who work on sponsored projects.  Other schools only create effort certifications for those employees who work on federal / fed pass through projects.  In either case, for the employee in question, all activity and all projects - federal or not - should be included in the effort certification.

The question isn't which projects are included / excluded from an effort certification; the question is whether employees are excluded from effort certification due to not being employed on federal projects.

Hope this helps.  Feel free to share with the listserv.

Jim Becker