NSF proposal development Beth Gaglione (16 Mar 2011 14:30 EST)
Re: NSF proposal development J. Michael Slocum (16 Mar 2011 15:00 EST)
Re: NSF proposal development Patton, Linda (16 Mar 2011 16:56 EST)
Re: NSF proposal development Bentz, Melody (24 Mar 2011 13:12 EST)

Re: NSF proposal development Bentz, Melody 24 Mar 2011 13:12 EST

Hi Beth:  Sometimes, we as administrators can only do so much.  I'm not sure if this is what you're looking for, but it may be of interest to others.  We have had several NSF program officers to campus over the years for various presentations. This year, we contacted the NSF CAREER Program Officer to present an informational session specifically targeted to the NSF Career Program.  Because of budget constraints, the PO proposed an alternative method to present the session via Videoconferencing.  The presentation is scheduled for April 1st. They requested that we have a minimum of 15 attendees to make it worth their while.  Planning was minimal.  Our IT rep was put in contact with the NSF IT rep to ensure that the two organizations could communicate between systems.  It worked out.  Coordination for me was minimal - I sent out invitations to eligible faculty to get people confirmed for attendance.  I think it's a great option.  Our faculty are looking forward to this opportunity.  As a follow on session to this, we have a panel discussion planned for late April with PIs who were recently funded, from our institution and outside.  Other universities have used a similar model and were willing to share their idea with us.

I hope this helps.

Melody Bentz
East Carolina University
A&S College Grants Administrator

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Beth Gaglione
Sent: Wednesday, March 16, 2011 3:30 PM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] NSF proposal development

Wondering if anyone has had experience bringing a person to their campus that can help faculty develop and write their NSF proposals. We are aware that there are opportunities to bring in people who are "experts" in research administration We also know that there are people who work for NSF that will visit campuses. But we are looking for someone who has an insider's view but is not necessarily an insider.

Any suggestions would be welcome. Thanks!

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)