Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry Carol Sprague (15 Feb 2011 09:57 EST)
Re: Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry Theresa Ashman (15 Feb 2011 11:02 EST)
Re: Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry Watkins-Wendell,Kathryn A (15 Feb 2011 13:00 EST)
Re: Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry Gray, Madison (15 Feb 2011 13:21 EST)

Re: Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry Watkins-Wendell,Kathryn A 15 Feb 2011 13:00 EST

We call these Unrestricted Research Gifts.  We run these through the University of Akron Research Foundation, which assesses 10% F&A.
The reason we don't run these through as a straight gift is because most often faculty want to charge salaries and wages to the funds and this creates the potential for development of intellectual property.     Our Development Office is not equipped to deal with line item budgeting and IP issues.

I've found that on occasion faculty will tell the for profit how to write the letter (to eliminate or limit F&A).  Our faculty receive F&A recovery which seems to have helped eliminate the "no F&A" letters!

Katie
Kathryn Watkins-Wendell, M.Ed., CRA, Director
Office of Research Services & Sponsored Programs
The University of Akron
 President, Ohio Chapter SRA  *  Board Member Emeritus, RACC
302 Buchtel Common, Akron, OH 44325-2102
330-972-6764   xxxxxx@uakron.edu

Follow UA Research on:

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org] On Behalf Of Carol Sprague
Sent: Tuesday, February 15, 2011 9:58 AM
To: xxxxxx@lists.healthresearch.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Unrestricted grants and gifts from industry

We receive unrestricted grants and gifts which have no reporting
requirements (financial or technical), no specific scope of work, and no
promise of deliverables (they just appreciate being kept infomed of the
research), etc.   The letter will often come with the statement that the
industry sponsor does not want overhead or indirect costs assessed.
These often come from places such as Intel, Google, and other for profit
companies.  They can range from a $1,000 to some that are $750,000.  We
have been charging a 10% administrative fee to cover some of the costs
of accounting, procurement, etc.  for these types of awards and our PI's
are not happy.  Do others of you have similar types of awards?  How do
you handle recouping any university type expenses?

Thank you!

--
Carol P. Sprague
Director

 "LISTSERV" link in the upper right corner)