SciVal Spotlight, Funding and Expert by Elsevier Deb Fisher (20 Jan 2011 15:12 EST)
Re: SciVal Spotlight, Funding and Expert by Elsevier Gina I Betcher (20 Jan 2011 16:27 EST)

Re: SciVal Spotlight, Funding and Expert by Elsevier Gina I Betcher 20 Jan 2011 16:27 EST

We (here at WMU) will receive a complete training in SciVal on Feb 2 (if my dates are correct). We received an introduction yesterday. I think there are a variety of uses for SciVal; and I would compare it in strengths and weaknesses against what we have been using, such as COS which we use for identifying funding opportunities.

SciVal allows us to learn about our faculty even more (through their publications, e.g.). There are a variety of uses (it seemed anything I would want to find, such as if I began first with a funding opportunity that I located which required a collaboration I could identify the key words within the RFP and use these or tweak these to  search publications as relates to faculty on my campus and then in the country and then in the world.

I could become more strategic, from this point forward.

This is what I learned from the introduction.

Sincerely,

Gina