Re: faculty incentives for grant writing Charlie Hathaway (30 Sep 2010 14:03 EST)
Re: faculty incentives for grant writing Bob Beattie (30 Sep 2010 14:19 EST)

Re: faculty incentives for grant writing Bob Beattie 30 Sep 2010 14:19 EST

All good points so far.  Consider too that "getting grants" is not an
end unto itself.  It is a means for faculty to get extra resources and/
or time to pursue their research goals.  The research, or creative
activity, is the goal.  Promotion and campus/national recognition
comes from the research, and its published results.  Many faculty are
content to do their other task of teaching, and if research is not
part of tenure decision, do none.  Moreover, many faculty do research
that does not require extra resources/time  over what is provided by
the institution.  The best way to encourage faculty to look for
external sources of funding is to limit what the institution offers.
However, faculty must be allowed some time to do research or pre-
research, which is proposal writing.  If a "full" teaching load and
campus service duties take up 60 hours a week, then when can they do
the research related activities.  Another good way to get more
proposals from faculty is to hire those who have some history of this,
even as grad students.

Bob
___________________________________
Robert Beattie
University of Michigan

On Sep 30, 2010, at 3:03 PM, Charlie Hathaway wrote:

I agree with Spanky (but maybe for different reasons).  The only goal is
having people get grants.  Being interested in writing proposals and
even
submitting proposals are obvious intermediate steps but if they become
surrogates for the real objective you will have defeated yourself.  I'd
also be wary of institutional hand-holding or praise for trying being a
slap in the face to those faculty who have the drive to go after grants
and who will not settle for almost.

Charlie

> I've never liked this  kind of program, although some of my
> colleagues will
> disagree.  The biggest problem is you are, in effect, paying them to
turn
> out a proposal that you can't evaluate.  They might try hard, put
> out a
good
> proposal and get funded, or they might, and most often, wait until
> th elast
> minute, turn in crap, and get paid anyway.  Have someone do this
enouigh,
> it
> guts what on the surface looks like a good idea.
>
> Writing proposals and doing research is the job of a faculty memeber.
Creating the knowledge they teach is part of being a member of a
discipline.
> Doing this you are paying them twice and likely getting garbage
> anyway.
It's a bad idea.

> spanky
>

> On 9/30/10 2:19 PM, "Donna Berger" <xxxxxx@MARIST.EDU> wrote:
>
>> Hi Everyone,
>> I am working on an incentive program for faculty to develop grant
proposals. We are thinking of offering a course release for up to 6
faculty
>> members per year (one from each of our schools) in order for them to
prepare  grant proposals.  Our intent is to stimulate greater interest
in
>> proposal writing among faculty who have not been active and/or
encourage
>> collaborative, interdisciplinary proposals.  Our initial thoughts are
>> announce the program and have faculty submit their proposal
>> concepts to a
>> panel of reviewers who would select those that are most likely to be
competitive. Faculty who are selected would then be given release time
(or