Opportunity for Research Participation Janet Bowne (07 Jul 2010 09:43 EST)
Does anyone know of Programs in Sciences for Minoity High School Students Holly Boykin (07 Jul 2010 09:58 EST)
Kuali Coeus User Conference and Webinars Chris Thompson (08 Jul 2010 08:50 EST)

Does anyone know of Programs in Sciences for Minoity High School Students Holly Boykin 07 Jul 2010 09:58 EST

Hi-

I have 3 high school students in the Boston area who are looking to go into the sciences and want to explore before their college career starts.  They are all going to be Juniors - can some give me a link of various programs.

Thank you!

Holly

-----Original Message-----
From: Research Administration List [mailto:xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Janet Bowne
Sent: Wednesday, July 07, 2010 10:43 AM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Opportunity for Research Participation

Dear Colleagues,
Please take a minute to read about the opportunity for Research
Universities to participate in a study pasted below.
Best regards,
Janet Bowne
Asst. Dean of Research
Director of Grants Management
Rutgers College of Nursing
xxxxxx@rutgers.edu
973-353-1693

Dear Colleague:
We are conducting a research study, "Efficacy of Interventions to Promote
Research Careers," funded by the National Institute of General Medical
Sciences at the National Institutes of Health (NIH). Participating schools
that are able to refer at least 30 dyads (30 mentors and 30 students) to
the study will receive a $10,000 honorarium.
The purpose of the study is to evaluate a theory-based intervention
designed to increase mentored students' interest and skills related to
careers in biomedical research.  Specifically, the project will evaluate a
theory-based intervention delivered to mentors and their protégés to
increase protégés' perceived ability to perform various tasks and
activities in the research domain. The main intervention is a ½ -day
workshop on mentoring, to be followed by completion of surveys 3 and 6
months later. The workshop is offered several times, each at a different
university. We ask the host University to provide a room for the meeting
and recruit participants.
We are seeking mentors, faculty members from any discipline who conduct
research and work with students who are either undergraduates or
first-year graduate students. As participants, both the faculty mentor and
one student protégé will be expected to either (1) attend a ½ day workshop
and complete a questionnaire on mentoring prior to the workshop as well as
3 and 6 months after the workshop; or (2) complete an online component of
the workshop and complete a questionnaire on mentoring prior to the online
component as well as 3 and 6 months after the workshop. The questionnaires
will be completed online and may take 30 to 45 minutes to complete.
Although our participation has been good, we need additional dyads with
underrepresented minority students and/or faculty mentors. We will give
priority to schools that have high underrepresented minority participants.
Participants have the opportunity to be part of a carefully-designed study
that we expect will yield important data on mentoring, inform mentoring
practices and increase our current understanding of mentoring relationship
factors that divert students from research or other careers in science.
The project should benefit the academic community by bringing together
faculty who routinely supervise students and collecting data about
effective mentoring practices. Dissemination of the findings will examine
the influence of mentoring on protégé's career choices and development of
research skills. Equally important, since the project in its totality will
involve approximately 180 faculty and 180 students from a range of
universities and science disciplines, as well as comparison groups of
faculty mentors and protégés, it will bring a systematic and iterative
approach to the study of mentoring and the role it has in increasing
student engagement and retention that is currently lacking. The findings
will be widely disseminated and should be of value in faculty development
efforts.
As the co-investigators of the study, I and my collaborator, Dr. Lucille
Eller, have sole responsibility for its design and conduct, though we
welcome input and advice from participants. There are no foreseeable risks
to participation in this study.  All participants will be assigned a
random code number and be assured of confidentiality.
This email is intended to provide you with a broad overview of the project
and, hopefully, stimulate interest in participating. If you are interested
and would like to know more, please contact Elise Lev at
xxxxxx@rutgers.edu or Lucille Eller at xxxxxx@rutgers.edu. If you have
questions related to your rights as a research subject, you may contact
the Sponsored Programs Administrator at Rutgers University at
xxxxxx@orsp.rutgers.edu.

I look forward to hearing from you.

Sincerely,

Elise Lev, Ed.D., RN