Re: Consultants on Grants Rinner, Timothy 24 May 2010 19:17 EST

Hi Melinda,

UMMS does indeed allow this if the corresponding faculty is not allocating measurable effort onto the project.  If the corresponding faculty member is charging as an example $5k to look at some data or slides, etc. (essentially a fee for service arrangement) we allow it.  Again, it's the measurable effort piece that is the key.

I thought I would also contact you on the Asst. Director position interview status (sorry that I am bothering you about this).  I know at the last time we e-mailed, you were waiting on some info/procedure from HR regarding out of town applicants and video conferencing.  I didn't know where we stood on that.  Also, assuming I am indeed still in the running I wasn't sure what we were looking at as far as me meeting with you, your staff and other colleagues at this point.  I know we has discussed a post June 16th date with deadlines and COEUS implementation.

Finally, my wife who is very excited about the situation is curious if you had any opinions on areas such as Sugar Land, Katy and Pearland.

Again, my apologies for bothering you.  Any info would be greatly appreciated.

Best,

Tim

Timothy L. Rinner
Grants Administrator III
Office of the Vice Provost for Research
55 Lake Avenue North
Worcester, MA 01655
508-856-8980
From: Research Administration List [xxxxxx@hrinet.org] On Behalf Of Cotten,Melinda T [xxxxxx@MDANDERSON.ORG]
Sent: Monday, May 24, 2010 6:25 PM
To: xxxxxx@hrinet.org
Subject: [RESADM-L] Consultants on Grants

Question for the group:

Does your institution allow your faculty to propose external faculty members (they have appointments at other academic institutions) to be PAID CONSULTANTS (directly) on grant applications vs being paid as a collaborator with effort, salary, fringe and associated F & A as a subcontract/consortium?

It is unusual to see a faculty member from an academic institution proposed on an application to be paid directly from a federal grant as a “consultant” using their institution’s letterhead.  If faculty is paid a full time salary for their academic appointment which is based upon their expertise, then collaboration on a grant involving their expertise using institutional letterhead would seem to only allow a consortium arrangement.

In reviewing the NIH policy statement at http://grants.nih.gov/grants/policy/nihgps_2003/NIHGPS_Part6.htm#Consultant_Services, I don’t see that this is prohibited since it only addresses internal consulting so I am trying to gain some insight on this topic.  If any of you have specific policies related to this, please share with me by responding directly to xxxxxx@mdanderson.org.

Sincerely,
Melinda