Re: Question on the advisability of lobbying in the context of peer-reviewed programs Donna Berger 13 May 2010 09:52 EST

Penny,

When questions such at this have come to me, I respond by saying that such
an approach is more likely to have the opposite effect. In other words, the
presumption that power and politics can weigh in on the peer-review process
for a specific application is an insult to that process and the integrity
of the review. I explain that such  an approach is more likely to frustrate
and annoy and put the proposal in a negative light -- because as Charlie
points out - it can make people sick. While I cannot comment on all of the
agencies listed, I would be very opposed about using such an approach with
NIH, NSF, NEH, NEA, and the EPA.  I have not had experience with the other
agencies listed.

Donna Berger, Ph.D.
Coordinator, Academic Grants
Marist College
Phone: 845-575-3670

|------------>
| From:      |
|------------>
 |Theresa Defino <xxxxxx@AOL.COM>                                                                                                                  |
|------------>
| To:        |
|------------>
 |xxxxxx@hrinet.org                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Date:      |
|------------>
 |05/12/2010 05:39 PM                                                                                                                               |
|------------>
| Subject:   |
|------------>
 |Re: [RESADM-L] Question on the advisability of lobbying in the context of peer-reviewed programs                                                  |
| Sent by:   |
 |Research Administration List <xxxxxx@hrinet.org>                                                                                                |

Penny, here's the key point:
 On the other hand, in a time of tight resources, my administration
 understandably does not want to lose out because we’re not engaging
 in lobbying when others are.
Are you sure this is happening? On specific grants to that agency?