Re: Reduced F&A with Industry sponsored projects Michael Kusiak 05 May 2010 17:00 EST

Hi Martha,

Here is the link to our contract and grant manual that talks about out
classification and criteria of indirect cost rate exceptions.

http://www.ucop.edu/raohome/cgmanual/chap08.html#8-633

We have seen quite a few requests lately for for-profit entities asking
for reduced IDC, typically for fellowship and "community grant" type of
awards (where there are likely to be no IP language in the agreement
anyhow for us bargain with or worry about).

Just got off the phone with UCLA, where this issue of IDC reductions for
clinical trials was on my radar yesterday.  Here is a link to their
guidance about the application of 26% IDC rate to all clinical trials:

http://www.research.ucla.edu/ocga/memos/CT_Definition_Memo.pdf

The 26% rate is used at all five UC medical campuses...and in the rare
case you would see a clinical trial at our non-medical campus, maybe the
26% rate could be applied as well.

Oh, and Wendy Streitz says hi!  I work on her team here at the UC Office
of the President.   She was reminiscing about you and Auburn when I told
her about your listserv post.

Take care!

Mike

Michael Joseph Kusiak
Research Policy Analyst
University of California, Office of the President
Email: xxxxxx@ucop.edu
Phone: 510-987-0659